➭Chapter 16: Youth

"Shadows settle on the place, that you left
Our minds are troubled by the emptiness
Destroy the middle, it's a waste of time
From the perfect start, to the finish line"

Youth – Daughter

▰▱▰▱▰▱

The closest they got to the final blow, the most anxious everyone become. Especially Newt, who did not sleep an eye in the last couple of days. It was just too much pressure, nerves, and fear as well.

"How are you holding up?" Ava asked from her spot on the other side of the room, both discussing the last few stuff, "Tomorrow is the big day..."

"Yeah... I don't know. Nervous I guess. Shaky?" He answered doubting, as if somehow suddenly he lost all the ability to express his own feelings.

"Guess everyone is a little bit" She said relating, "But we have to think this is to end it all for good"

"What about you? You'll be ending what you've built in a big part of your life" He asked curiously, they had already talked about it, but now there was a whirlwind of emotions in the middle.

"I've renounced WCKD a long time ago" She said deep in thought. Newt guessed there was still a bit of guilt inside that statement.

Lately the conversations were getting more uncomfortable between the two of them, as if they were becoming strangers again. Newt didn't know what it meant, but he didn't want to think about it too much. It just made it worse to his already racing mind. A lot could happen in the lapse of twenty-four hours and it was terrifying. The only thing he wished right now is for everything to turn up well, without any interruption. It was a difficult thing to ask, because it was obviously that an unexpected bump would appear. They had already think about every mistake that could occur but it still felt as if it wasn't enough.

"Just try to sleep tonight, okay? We need everyone well rested, especially you" Doctor Paige showed a little smile. He smiled back, a little strained but still there.

"Thanks, Doctor Paige" He answered sincerely, "For everything"

He was biting his own tongue and tears, just hoping with all his will this wasn't some kind of goodbye.

▰▱▰▱▰▱

The next day he woke up normally, and did his morning routine like any other day. This wasn't like any other day and he knew he was doing it all to calm his nerves.

He walked to the cafeteria, staring at all the guards in the hallways. Today paying attention to them more than ever. They suddenly multiplied by the work of his own imagination. It was all so fucking messed up inside his head.

He ate his breakfast. The bacon and the eggs tasting like old metal in his tongue. He made a huge effort to swallow, knowing he needed the most energy possible. Everyone else inside the building was super calm, without acknowledging the events that were taking place in a couple of hours. He wanted to be that calm now, but it was impossible.

"Mr. Newton" A voice snapped him back to reality and he jolted on his spot. He tried to mask his reaction when he spotted the devil sat in front of him.

"Mr. Spilker" He mimicked the way the man expressed himself, not bothering in raising his head to look at him in the eye.

"Why so lonely today?" Randall asked smirking as usual.

"I don't know. Maybe because you have kidnapped the only person I want to see now" He showed a fake smile. Randall did not look amused.

"What a strong personality you got there"