➭Chapter 15: Us

"Tell me how to be in this world
Tell me how to breathe in and feel no hurt
Tell me how could I believe in something
I believe in us"

Us – James Bay

▰▱▰▱▰▱

"What's our next move?"

Newt asked with a hurry to Ava one week later. They were both on another part of the building, with Ramirez behind them watching for any Randall soldiers. It was a part Newt has never seen until now, Doctor Paige said it was used by the engineers who helped creating the maze, which meant Thomas had been there in the past.

"We get access to the whole building" The doctor answered as she unlocked the door with a key card.

When they entered the huge room, it was dark, and dusty. The atmosphere was cold as well and Newt had to keep himself from shivering. He and Doctor Paige turned on a pair of lanterns so they could investigate the place.

The whole room was massive, and full. Full of big boxes covered in white sheets, Newt could see spider webs on them, indicating it hadn't been used in a while now. He approached to one and he ran his finger over the only piece of material uncovered, and scoffed when it came back totally white with dust.

"How long has it been since they were out of power?" He asked curious, raising his voice a little because the woman was out of sight.

"Since you guys got out of the maze" Ava said as she wheeled herself back to him. He opened his mouth slightly in awe.

"So these were really the ones that controlled everything"

"Yes, they were" She answered as she began to take the sheets out, revealing big modern mainframes under them, Newt began to help her. "Part of the information saved here was put by Teresa and Thomas"

"Thomas knew how to use one of these?"

"They were mainly operated by Teresa, but yes. Thomas took care more of the structure" She explained when they uncovered the last mainframe. "One of the things that I feel the most sorry for after wiping you kids' memories is the whole knowledge you learnt here in WCKD. Teresa was the only one who had them back after all"

Newt looked down. At this point his memories wasn't something he really cared too much anymore, the only thing he wanted to remember more was his sister and what they lived before all this, not just fragments he got from the Flare.

"Can you tell me? How was it, before the maze?" He asked sheepishly. He had been afraid of make that question, but he was desperate to know more about him, or Thomas, or the rest of the guys.

"You kids used to sneak out a lot. Most of the times we would observe from the cameras without you knowing. It was usually you, Minho, Gally and Alby. Then they came Thomas, Teresa and Chuck" She smiled at the memory. He didn't know why she smiled, since she was the one who stole that from them. His eyes widened.

"Thomas and I knew before the maze?" He asked shocked. He had known Thomas worked for them and used to see them in the maze before he was introduced to the Glade, but he had never known they actually spent time together.

"You were probably one of the closest ones. The most important people for Thomas all his childhood were Teresa, Chuck and you..."

And he would've lost the three of them, he thought.

"...That was probably what led him to betray us all" She looked deep in thought, Newt's brows furrowed.

"The right arm mentioned something about it... About a betrayal and all the information he gave to them"