➭Chapter 20: Epilogue

Epilogue

▰▱▰▱▰▱

Newt was heading towards the beach on a beautiful day, the sun shining bright in the cloudless blue sky, temperature not too hot but not too cold either. He inhaled deeply through his nostrils, immediately scenting salty water and pure nature. He closed the door of his hut behind him after putting a foot outside, immediately hit by a soft breeze.

The Safe Haven was just like it was described, just like Newt had pictured it in his head. It was pure perfection from dawn till dusk, day and night full of colors and life. People actually starting again, something he had lost hope on until he met this place. All the things that were built while he was presumed dead, and then under WCKD, will never fail to impress him.

A couple of steps away from him, right at the seashore, was Thomas sat on a fallen log, bare feet getting wet with every weakened sea wave. That was the image he liked start his day with, something he was proud of. The brunet's blue shirt moved in sync with the wind, making him look softer, more peaceful.

He approached to him, and he didn't even noticed his presence, Newt sighed. Thomas' eyes were locked in the forward direction where the ocean settled, but at the same time they weren't focused at anything specific. He walked closer, pulling his unresponsive figure into his arms, voluntary leading his head to rest it on his belly, and ran his fingers through the side of it, feeling relaxed with the familiar soft and brown locks. He closed his eyes and waited for a reaction back.

Behind him, the crunchy sound of wet sand caught his attention, spotting Brenda joining them after a meeting with Gally. The young woman threw him a sympathetic look, positioning by his side, letting the silence fill the surroundings for a moment.

"He's in another one?" She asked plainly, moving her sight to the quiet boy before turning back to him. He nodded his head.

"He said he wasn't feeling well when he walked out of the hut so I figured" He explained, unconsciously soothing Thomas while he had the view lost in front of him. Brenda nodded, fixing her thin jacket in the process. "How did it go?"

"Pretty well, actually" She smiled, a happy expression on her features, "I think neither of us wants to drop it there"

It was after she finished the sentence when Thomas began to come around slowly, first blinking his eyes as the first sign of awareness. Newt felt him shift under his embrace, then looking up at him with a tired yet confused expression. He softened his eyes, leaning a little to peck his lips. Thomas relaxed visibly at the action.

"What were you talking about?" Thomas mumbled, forcing a small grin on his lips, warming Newt's tight chest.

"Brenda just came back from her date, remember?"

"Oh yeah, right" Thomas turned to Brenda, who was standing there glancing at the scene. "What did you guys do?"

"We went to the woods, and had lunch there. Sickly cute" She laughed, making the boys chuckle with her hardness.

"Point for the effort"

"Hey you don't give me points for the effort" Newt frowned, faking being hurt by placing a hand on his chest dramatically.

"Are you jealous now?" Thomas raised his eyebrow challenging. Newt rolled his eyes.

"No, I'm hurt" He remarked, trying to show his toughest look, but failing instantly. The truth was, that Thomas' amber irises were easy for him to get lost in.

"You guys can't even have an argument" Another voice broke their daze, coming from Minho who was walking towards them holding hands with Harriet, and then Gally approaching to Brenda's side. Everyone began to laugh at their embarrassing moment.