Chapter Two

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"Never throw the first punch. If you have to throw the second, try to make sure they don't get up for a third."

― Brandon Sanderson, Steelheart

Dedication: @inquisitiive (because she reads my characters perfectly and she writes Dinner.)

*********

CHAPTER TWO:

After school, I immediately head to the park Richard mentioned with hastened steps. It is a bit chilly outside but the desire of fight inside me warms me up well enough. The park is a 5-minute walk from school but I walk there less than three minutes.

I am a bit late because Mr. Richardson didn't finish the lecture on time. That old sneaky man likes to keep me busy. My only worry is whether he thought I am frightened and I don't have the guts to face him. I have those guts, and even more.

When I'm nearly there, I spot him – and a couple of his friends. They are talking and laughing – probably mentioning how scared I am.

I step towards them as I get there, my hands in my pockets and I peer at each of them in the eye. "So you brought company?" I ask in an instinuating tone, though it is trivial.

"Only to watch, Pierce, I want them to witness this event." Richard answers, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Yeah, sure." I smirk back. I examine the others and I know most of them – all of them are his puppies. They always hang out together and they are inseparable. It irks me that they'll be watching us. I prefer it to be alone, only two of us. Not that I am afraid of him, otherwise I would prefer company. It's just – disturbing to be around all those people. I throw my bag under one of the nearest trees along with my coat, shaving the sleeves up. I gaze at Richard who is just standing still there. The chilly air brushes my body and I can't help feeling a bit cold. If I wore jeans, none of these would happen but stupid school forces us to wear skirt.

Then, suddenly, someone makes a sound – for the first time since I've gotten there.

"Ric, don't be ridiculous," he huffs. "This is none of your business." He sounds so worried and this is actually cute. It is like he is worried of his friend. I let my eyes wander up and down on him and if Richard wasn't dating Megan, I would probably assume he is Richard's secret boyfriend. The tone in his voice is that worrisome.

Richard stares daggers at him. "Shut up," He groans, his tone annoyed as if his mother ended up in the middle of fight and told him to get home.

"I think you should listen to him, he is very concerned about you." I chime in, rather chuffed.

"You can't punch a girl." The boy firmly adds, his eyes on me. Meanwhile, I realise I don't know his name although I recognise him from school. We take some classes together but since I spend my time sleeping during class, I don't have time to socialise.

"A girl, huh?" Richard scoffs at him. "Look at her, please. She looks like everything but a girl." He looks at me with a disgusted expression.

"This doesn't change the fact." He deadpans, grasping his arm to stop him.

"He can't punch me, you know," I start off. "Not because I'm a girl, he just can't." I state. I hate it when people say 'she's a girl, don't' because it isn't fair. What if I'm a girl? I am stronger than many boys and I don't like to be an exception. If I punch them, they can punch me, too. I'm not afraid – because otherwise it is just like they would kill me but since I'm a girl, they won't. I would like to see them try.