Chapter Eight

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."

― Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

Dedication: @inexplicit (I love her, and her stories, and she's been there for me anytime.)

***

CHAPTER EIGHT

I don't know for how long I stand like that, trying to sleep, but suddenly someone enters in and turns the light on again. I'm so ready to curse Calvin –

"Calvin, f-" But I startle with Sue in front of me.

"Jackie Cookie," she whispers. "What are you doing here?" She's in her pyjamas, her hair a mess and her eyes red. I figure that she's just woken up but why in this goddamn hour? She draws closer to the bed, and sits at the edge, her eyes still on me wary.

"We are having a party," I say, not sure what else to elaborate.

"A party?" she whisper-yells. "Why didn't you invite me?" I chuckle quietly at her anger. "Wait, where is Cal?"

"He's sleeping on the couch."

"Oh, I thought he's just come home and he doesn't sleep before he says good night to me so I couldn't sleep."

"Hmm," I hum, "what about sleeping with me?"

She looks at me. "You serious?" When she receives a nod from me, she asks another question: "Do you snort?"

"Hmm, no."

She shrugs and pushes me lightly to make a room for herself next to mine. "Then, okay. I was scared anyway," she mumbles softly.

"Why?"

"We watched a horror movie."

"I'll save you from anyone," I promise her, as we lie together and she throws her little arm around me.

"You promise?" She asks, looking up.

"Yeah, princess, I'm your Prince Charming."

"But you're a girl," she whispers, "how is it possible?"

"Because Prince Charming is actually a girl, but she uses that name to sound strong."

"Huh," Sue huffs, "a girl can be strong."

"Indeed, she's dumb anyway."

"But you aren't," she answers, "so don't be her. Hmm, be my Mulan."

"Whatever the princess desires," I whisper in her ear and she giggles.

"You know," she murmurs, sleepy, "Cal tells a lot about you."

"Oh, does he?"

"Yeah," she replies, burying her head beneath my neck, "he doesn't really shut up. But it's okay. I like you, Jackie Cookie."

"What does he say, anyway?" I inquire, hoping to take benefit from her sleepy mind.

"He made me promise not to tell anyone."

I sigh. "I'm not anyone, Sue, I'm Jackie Cookie."

"Right," she hums thoughtfully and pauses a little. "He says that – that you are annoying. Most of the time. And sometimes you aren't. Well, he says that he likes you better when you aren't annoying. But he likes you in general, I'm sure, he keeps talking."