Chapter Eighteen

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more."

― Erica Jong

Dedication: @justreading1234 (Because she is Bayan and the nicest person I've ever met.)

***

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"Everything has gotten awkward between us," I complain as I'm drying my hair and holding the phone in my other hand. I've just taken a shower and now, preparing for the dinner. Calvin will be here in less than thirty minutes.

"It is normal, Jack, you've rejected him."

"I know but," – I push the window close with my arm, since it send shivers through my body (I'm only in my pants and bra) – "still, it is so awkward. Like really. I can't even make a proper joke because I am so afraid of hurting him. What happens to me?" I breathe in shock. "Fuck, what is this?"

"What is what?"

"This," I say, tucking the phone between my shoulder and chin. I'm ruffling my hair and holding the dry machine with my left hand. "I'm totally turning into a caring puppy."

I hear him laugh from the other side of the line. "Love is in the air."

"Shut up."

"Are you drying your hair? What is that noise?"

"Yeah," I murmur, shutting down the machine and put it on my bed. "I'm preparing for the dinner. He'll come over, you know. I've just taken a shower – oh, I have no fucking idea what to wear."

"So are you naked?"

"You wish, Ric." Bastard. "Uh, anyway, I'll go with my shorts."

"Good choice," he says. "Calvin isn't your boyfriend. You friendzoned him, don't forget that."

"You know why I've done it. I hate you."

"You love me."

Rolling my eyes at his annoying puns, I change the topic. "Why did you call me, by the way?"

"I was going to ask you out. Tonight. Maybe we could drink something and have some fun."

"Sorry babe, I'm busy," I mock. "Call Megan. She must've missed you."

"Shut up – oh, and Jack, I have a match tomorrow. Will you be there?"

Ignoring him, I keep on, "I'm going," – I glance at the clock over my bedside. "he's almost here. Bye." Ending the call, I immediately stand up and walk to my wardrobe. I immediately find my mini shorts and a decent t-shirt. I note myself that I should tidy up my wardrobe sometime soon but I am sure I'll forget it. I push it and look at my reflection in the mirror. I look good – I am Jack, of course I do.

Someone knocks the door, probably my mother. "Come in."

It is actually Calvin, and as he sees me in my underwear as usual, he gasps and shuts the door again. I can't help but laugh – this guy is virgin. "Calvin, you can come in if you wish," I sing playfully but I hear him snort in return.

I immediately put them on and open the door. He looks like a tomato outside, and he spare a glance at me, looking down. "Why did you say come in?"

"Because I was available."

"Huh, yeah."

I take his hand and shove him downstairs. "I'll now formally introduce you to my mother."