Chapter Four

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"Anything worth having is worth fighting for."

― Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Heaven, Texas

Dedication: @maffies (for she left sweet comments on previous chapter and she is amazing person)

CHAPTER FOUR

I linger a bit more at lunch after Calvin's embarrassed leaving, with a silly smile on my face that I can't wash away, yet it bothers me a lot - if anyone noticed my current expression, I'm both smiling and rolling my eyes at my smile. It's as though my mouth and eyes don't work coordinately.

I actually love it when I tease people and drive them mad but this time isn't like before. It's not that I was such a tease to Calvin, it was indeed his expressions and his shyness, and maybe the flush on his cheeks.

Leaving the dining hall, I head to my next class, literature, and find myself an isolated corner of the class. I'm so thoughtful that I pay attention to disappear in the class since I won't be active. Literature is fucking boring, by the way, I don't know why we have to take it. Or any subjects, in that matter. I'm not that deep to question the existence of our lives but I constantly question school's existence. Because it's fucking unnecessary - it should be optional.

I heave a sigh while sitting at the desk at the back of class, my legs on the table and my arms crossed, my head leant against the wall. I eye the class with an expressionless face, just staring to be frank, and there, I notice Richard enters in. Fuck, were we taking this class together? He immediately espies me even though I sit at the back, and this certainly proves my irresistable charm in the universe. I mean, I am so fucking good to neglect.

To my surprise, he just growls at me, placing his ass on one of the desks at the front. I can't help but smirk. After seconds, Megan enters and with her infuriating ass-shaking walk, she sits beside Ric. She talks to him with a huge grin on her face but I notice, Richard doesn't even look at her direction. After realisation, which takes her long, her face drops and she starts to ask questions. Lots of them. She grasps his arm and gets angry. Wow, Richard is dumping her. Who will save your ass now, Meggie?

Standing up, Richard walks at the back of the class, which means, towards where I sit. Meg, meanwhile, stands up and storms out of the class. She closes her face with her hands but I know she's already crying. Her bodyguard, her everything is now poof. I also get mad if he is going to ditch her, why did Ric bother to punch me? That bastard.

He sits next to me and I peer at him with a smirk on my face. "For once, I agree with you." I say.

He sighes. "I didn't come here to listen to you, Pierce."

"Then, move your fucking ass somewhere else because I'll be talking." He just rolls his eyes and doesn't say a word. He seems really down, and I think being an arse to him isn't the best idea at that moment. "Yo, what's wrong? You've just dumped the stupidest girl at school and now, you're a hot single."

He looks at me in disbelief, quickly replaced with a smile after he notices my grin. "I didn't expect to hear it from you."

"Well, you are at your luckiest day." I reply, laughing. Then, I frown at him. "If it upsets you that much, why did you dump her?"

"Oh, that," he says, "I'm not down because of that." Then, he looks at me. "I'm not going to open up to you, Pierce," he huffs afterwards.

"Never wanted so, Butler."

Meanwhile, teacher enters in with a bunch of paper in his hands. He looks at us and smiles, "Quiz time." Fuck. I look at Richard who is looking at me.

"Did you study-" We say at the same time and shuts up. We both know we are going to screw.

After another usual failure of a quiz, I leave the class, ready to head home. I know my bruises aren't healed completely but I plan to swim in powder so that my face is completely covered. Oh, or I can use a face mask. One thing I know is that I won't spend the night outside again.

When I am out of school, Calvin ends up next to me. This boy doesn't give up. I look at him with a questioning and annoyed look on my face but he never gets the message. "Hi," he greets me as if we are best friends forever.

I roll my eyes. "Calvin, why are you here?"

"Walking home."

"Walk a bit faster." He frowns. "You are walking next to me." I deadpan.

"Will you keep being stubborn? I'm trying to be nice here." He says, offended and when I turn to glance at him, our eyes meet.

"Who wants you to be nice? Because I don't. Play rude to me, I like that way better." Then, I smirk. "If you are already head over heels..."

He stares daggers at me. "I am not head over heels. You seem lonely, okay, and I'm trying to be the company."

"Did I want your company? I can find a company if I wish." I snap. "I can assure you it won't be yours."

"Admit it, you like me around." He says with a sideway grin. I throw a worn-out sideway glance at his side but the sheepish grin on his face makes me want to laugh. I press my lips not to throw a laughter at his silliness but in the end, I find myself laughing. I ask myself the question: do I want him around? Totally not. I don't know why but having him by my side makes me uncomfortable. Maybe my ultimate fear to be a person's good side causes that because I never have friends - just enemies. I don't believe in friendship or that I can go along with someone. It's like Calvin Gilmore swore to God that he is going to change that. But I swear, at that moment, it's not going to be easy. I won't let anyone get me out of my comfort zone. He laughs along with me, I realise, while deep sunk in my thoughts. I immediately stop, looking at him and sighing.

"Is there a way that I can make you leave me alone?"

"Tell me why you are sick, for instance," he answers, looking at me worriedly. "Did your family shoo you out last night?"

I look at him in disbelief. This guy is unbelievable, first he tries to be my friend and now, be a part of my life. "Walk me home," I groan. He just laughs at my annoyance and walks with me, silent.

I wonder if he found out that Richard broke up with Megan. "Oh, and," I say and he turns his attention at me, a bit blankly as if he has been thinking something. "Did you hear about Richard and Megan?"

"No," he says, clueless.

"They broke up."

"Oh," he says but he doesn't sound surprised.

"Yes," I continue happily, "Now you have a friend - single and you know, that can spare time for you." Which is a better version of leave me alone.

He laughs again - he laughs so much when he is with me. I wonder how he can find the will to laugh against my annoyed and fuck-off-please gazes. "Um, well, we are not on good terms with Ric." He murmurs quietly, his eyes fixed on ground and his hands shoved in his pockets. He doesn't look sad, which is surprising for me because I expect Calvin to cry.

"Oh, babe," I say with a fake concern. "Did he dump you, too? I guess he wants a full-single life."

He glares at me. I shrug, laughing. "I knew they are going to break up. It was a thing Richard had on mind for a while now - and well, I don't get along with him as much as before. He has changed and I have changed. After our conversation, I realised that you are right. He is not worth my time."

For the first time in my life, someone listened to my advice. I am not sure if it is a wise thing, though. "Well, I didn't want to affect you." I mumble. "I'm not the one you should be listening, obviously. I suck at friendship stuff, but yeah, people are mostly bitch so."

"Then, maybe I want to be friends with the bitchest."

I startle when I hear what he's just said. If someone else heard this, they would consider it as an insult but I actually like being called bitch because I am, you know, it's like someone calling me Jack. "Well, you know it's gonna be a rough path, boy."

"Worth the fight." He says. And I smile, because well, I would like to see him fight. Or anyone fight. For me. Against me.

***