Chapter Seventeen

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."

― Ingrid Bergman

Dedication: @xPureChances (because she's Naja - check her stories out because they seriously kill me.)

***

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Starting from a very early age, I suppose six, I've visited my grandparents in their house in Brighton during summer breaks. Summer was the best season of the year for me, because my grandparents used to show me the attention and love I've been craving for. They loved me - I know they still do.

Two years ago, when I was 16, I've met a couple of people who are around my age in Brighton. I was so alone back here, as always, and it was right a month after I've punched Richard because of that bully thing. Consequently, I was even more lonely than ever. In Brighton, near the neighbourhood of my grandparents' house, I've known the people and I've made some friends from time to time. But mostly, I was a shy person and preferred not to interact much. Anyway, one day at beach, I met those cool people who laughed and had fun together. It was a refreshing event for me since I had literally nobody to talk, then suddenly and magically they've become my friends. We used to hang out together, swim and talk - beach parties and stuff. I've thought 16 was a magical age. It was a new start of my life where I didn't have to be alone and shy and passive. Where I could start a life.

They knew me as Jacqueline. I've never demanded them to call me Jack because I wasn't Jack there. I wasn't rude, I was laughing and I felt fresh. There was this guy named Levi. He was probably the one whom I felt the closest - whether due to his behaviour or the crush I'm developing on him. I thought he liked me - that he would actually like me. Thus, I believed without a second thought when he said he liked me.

Lauren, who is now standing before me and smiling at me like an idiot, is his twin sister."Yeah," I mutter silently, "what have gotten you here?"

She chuckles, patting my shoulder. "You've said it like you aren't pleased." She eyes me and when she notices my lips don't even twitch up, she continues with a softer tone. "Well, I'm going to University of London."

"Good," I comment. "How is Brighton?" Meanwhile, I peer at Calvin who is interestedly eavesdropping to our conversation. I try not to say something that will reveal stuff.

She smiles at the mention of Brighton. "It is nice. Well, still the same. Back then, when you mentioned London, it didn't affect me that much." You've never cared. "But now, I figure it out. London is fine."

I've stopped going to Brighton after that summer. Even though my grandparents insisted so. "Yeah, it is." I wish she takes the message and leaves.

"Who is your friend?" She says, smiling at Calvin. Did I mention she's not bad herself with her bright brunette hair and green eyes? I stand up and grasp her by the arm, shoving her to somewhere Calvin can't hear us. I know how suspicious this will appear but who cares, anyway? She needs to leave.

She just grins wider as we stand at the entrance of the coffee shop. "You've changed, Jacqueline," she says mockily. "You are harsher - it's cool. You are cool." She eyes me up and down with a ghost of smirk. "And you seem like you've lost weight. You look so hot."

"Jack," I deadpan. "My name is Jack."

She just nods, smiling. "So, who is he?" She inquires again, her eyes locked on behind, on Calvin. "Your boyfriend?"