Chapter Thirty One

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"That, my dear, is what makes a character interesting, their secrets."
Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden

Dedication: @royal-mindz (an amazing friend & the banner on the side is so cool.)

***

PLEASE R E A D :

About the comments on the last chapter, most of you are angry at Calvin. You are right, what he has done was really mean and I don't support what he did in any ways but he was angry. When people are angry, some words can slip out of their mouths that they didn't mean to. He wanted to hurt him as much as she hurt her. I don't try to justify him. Please don't be so mad and don't call him a bastard for what he's said or done. Because then, it doesn't make you any different than him. Thank you.

***

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

The next weeks are the epitome of hell.

I am in mixed emotions - I want to hate Calvin because of all those words he called me. But I can't bring myself to do that since I fucking love him and he has every right to insult me after that incident. I am guilty and dying.

My parents haven't left my side since I returned home two weeks ago from Calvin's house. It started to rain and I walked all the way home. I let my tears fall with the drops of rain. I was a wreck when I was home, and my mother screamed when she saw me like that. Then, I fainted. I don't remember anything else until I woke up the next day with my mother by my side.

I didn't tell her what happened when she asked me. She pressed her lips together and looked at me with that heartbreakingly accepting expression. She didn't push it - this time I was grateful though. I don't want anyone to make me remember it all over.

There is a bug in my heart that tears a piece out of there each second and I know it won't stop until there's nothing left in there. I don't eat. I can't. My mother brings something and tries to feed me but I refuse it most of the time.

One day, she finds a way to get to me. She sits beside me on my bed,with a spoon in her hand and I fight against eating. She stops and looks at me angrily. "Do you want me to call Calvin?" She asks meaningfully and I know she senses something is up. I've been home for days after finals and I am always in bed. I do nothing productive.

"No," I say dismissively, looking anywhere but her. "He - he is busy."

"What happened?" She asks, not buying my lies. "You haven't talked to him for weeks, Jack, something is wrong between you two."

"I don't want to tell."

She grabs my chin and forces me to look her in the eyes. "Look at me. I can't witness my daughter ruining herself in front of my eyes, okay? You are getting thinner and thinner. Now, spill the beans."

"Mum-"

"Don't mum me, just say it."

"I slept with Richard," I blurt out.

"Oh," she says and I check her face to see if she's mad. But she looks calm. "Do you like him?"

"No," I cry. "I was so drunk and it just happened."

"Did you tell Calvin?"

"He...found out."

"Oh Jack, this is terrible."

"Thanks for the reminder."

"I wish you told me earlier."

"It would change nothing, Mum," I say, shrugging. "I confronted him afterwards, that night when I came home wet, and he called me slut. He acted like..." I shake my head with remembrance. "It was so awful."