Chapter Twenty Six

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."

Gilda Radner

Dedication: @sweghlife (the banner she made is gorgeous.)

***

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

Friday has come all of a sudden.

I've bidden farewell to my grandma yesterday. Although we told her not to leave so soon, she said home was awaiting for her. When my grandma sets her mind, she does it.

Levi and Lauren came to say their goodbyes as well. I came downstairs, to see them sitting with grandma. Sauntering into the living room, I sat down beside her among the awkward looks. For a while we've stolen uncomfortable glances from each other, especially Lauren, and haven't said a thing.

Soon enough grandma cleared her throat and shot a glance at each of us. "What happened has happened. We can't change that,"-she glanced at me-"but we can change the present. If you are my grandparents, you have to get along!"

"Grandma-" I started off.

"I'm sorry," Lauren said simultaneously. Gained a confused look from me, she continued. "I treated you badly two years ago, said things you didn't deserve but I swear I was just too stupid. I get it better now. I was also affected by Levi." She peered at him.

"You know I'm sorry," he said defensively. His eyes were on me. "We are friends now, aren't we?"

I nodded in a bored manner. If there was something I want to discuss then, it wasn't absolutely that.

Relaxing around each other, we talked and grandma told stories. The only thing that made me satisfied with my choice was my grandma's smile. I would do anything to see her smile.

Finally the unwanted had come and my grandma left the house. The farewell was awkward. I cried, to begin with. This woman always brings out what's buried inside me. And she caressed my hair and told me she'd see me soon. Because this summer I will be going to Brighton.

I'd waved all along when she got into Levi's old Volvo. Lauren was standing at the doorway when this all happened. She came closer to me and hugged me. "Thanks for not telling Levi what you know," she whispered into my ear. "I've met some friends that accept me for who I am."

I smiled. "Tell him," I said. "He'll understand."

"Maybe one day."

It was before she'd gotten into the car as well. I watched them disappear in the street. My grandma was gone - I felt somewhat lost again.

* * *

"I don't want to lose this game. This is my last chance. Everyone will be watching us and I might get a scholarship." It's one of the rarest moments I've ever seen Richard so anxious and worried. He seems vulnerable and I feel like hugging him.

Instead, I pat his shoulder with a ghost of smile. "You will. Because I say so."

"Another kiss might work," he says, pointing at his cheek. Sighing, I plant a kiss on there.

"Now if you lose, I'll kick your balls."

Before jogging towards the field, he flashes a dorky smirk at me. Rolling my eyes at him, I turn to find Calvin standing before me, his arm folded over his chest. I immediately smile at him but his face keeps its straightness, his eyes boring into me even more. I walk to him and stop when I'm close enough. "What's wrong?"