Chapter Twenty

QUOTE OF THE CHAPTER:

"Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect."

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Dedication: @toobadtodie (for her sweetest and elaborated comments)

***

CHAPTER TWENTY

I've watched the game praying that Richard's team will win because the last thing I've ever wanted to see is Levi's triumphant smirk. Gladly, God accepted my prayers and our team made it to final. (This is a quarter final game, I've learnt like seconds ago.) Suddenly, everyone stands up and starts to clap their hands and yell and rush into the field.

I spot Richard at the corner of field, sitting as his head leans against the wall and quaffs off the water, breathless. I saunter at him softly but he notices me anyway, as he wipes his mouth with his arm, and a knowing grin plays on his lips. When I'm sufficiently close, he speaks up: "We won." His tone reveals the excitement and victory he feels. He looks sweaty and tired, his hair a sticky mess and his football shirt wet due to sweat. Even when he's totally a mess, I bet there are lots of girls that find him hot and handsome. Unfortunately, all I see is a sweaty prick.

I lower myself and sit beside him, snapping my head to see his I'm-the-best grin, rolling my eyes in return. "Of course, you did. You would never risk losing me, anyway."

He chuckles. "True." He opens another plastic bottle and drinks a bit, then extends it to me. I shake my head no, so he shrugs and takes another sip before putting it beside him. We stand like that for a while - I'm eyeing Calvin and he is trying to steady his breaths. "It was a struggle," he says after a while. "To win over them, I mean."

"Oh, you did pretty well," I comment.

"Of course, I did," he huffs. "I'm a star - but it was still difficult."

I roll my eyes. "Star my ass. You were almost losing."

"Note the word almost, please." I groan in return. "That guy." he points with his head and I focus on there. "He was tough." I notice he is pointing at Levi, who is talking with some friends. He doesn't seem bothered to lose even though he said he's come to win in the first place.

"Levi." I say flatly.

"What?"

"The guy - his name is Levi."

"Wow," he breaths, his eyes still on him. "You are hanging out with a college gang, huh?"

"No," I retort. "I know him personally."

"I don't know why but that sounded so personal." I keep my mouth shut. "I mean," he says after turning at me. "So personal that it would be fun to interfere."

I huff, trying to hide the ghost of smile. "I'm not telling you."

"Damn. I thought we shared everything."

"We don't," I retort sharply. "You only know about how much I want you to know."

A playful smirk nails on his lips. I think he'll say something witty and tempting but he doesn't. He just says, "Okay.            You know I'll listen when you want me to know more."

Wow, this was quite easy of him. I push the subject and ask something else to keep him occupied. "So, what are you doing tonight?"

"Guys offered to celebrate it out but I'm not sure if I want to go," he says. "I'm exhausted." I nod at him but he looks hesitant. "But if you want to go-"