𝖤𝗉𝗂𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾 : 𝖲𝖺𝖿𝖾 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝖲𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽

[🎖]

The year was 1942. It was a warm, autumn night. Montverde was slowly getting back up on its feet, rebuilding what has been destroyed and crumbled.

"I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go."

"When all those shadows almost killed your light."

Y/N was in a small bedroom, singing to little Vivian as she combed the brown locks of her hair. Now 2 years old, she had grown to identify Y/N as her mother and Commander Choi as her father.

"I remember you said don't leave me here alone."

"But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight."

The couple intended to keep the child after both of her parents have passed untimely. At first, they were guilty when Vivian called them "mama" and "papa". But sooner, they realized it's what Diana and Private Lim would've preferred. At least Vivian will have a better life.

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now."

"Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

Y/N let the soft strands drape on the girl's shoulders. Vivian looked up at her and smiled. She beamed back.

"Time for bed, darling." Y/N cooed.

Vivian blinked. "Papa?"

"Papa's not coming home until midnight." Y/N patted her head. "Don't worry. Mama will wake you up when he's here. Sound good?"

"Sing." Vivian giggled. "Mama, sing."

"Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire."

"The war outside our door keeps raging on."

Y/N helped Vivian down the chair. The kid waddled straight to her cozy bed, flopping on her stomach. She squealed in delight, crawling around the sheets, and eventually settled underneath the covers with her big teddy bear.

"Hold onto this lullaby even when the musics gone, gone."

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now."

Y/N sat on the bedside, lulling her innocent angel to sleep. As Vivian drifted to dreamland, Y/N lovingly caressed her pregnant belly. She was a month due.

"Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

"Just close your eyes, you'll be alright."

"Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

One kiss on Vivian's forehead and Y/N stood to leave. Silently, she exited the room and closed the door. She was supposed to turn on the television to watch tonight's broadcast. For her now husband was about to receive his promotion in line with the war's first year anniversary.

She sat on the couch and waited as the black and white characters moved about in the tiny screen. A little more and the Prime Minister appeared to open the ceremony.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it was indeed a great time to celebrate our victory against Nordame. At last, our nation has regained its peace and long-known freedom. But regardless, we've also shed a lot of lives. It is true. For every triumph, there shall be tremendous amounts of sacrifices and these people, will forever be our fallen heroes."

The Prime Minister gestured at a hundred photo frames displayed. Y/N looked at the screen. She saw portraits of Private Lim, Private Yang, and a lot more. All of them died as heroes. All of them sacrificed for their motherland. She caught glimpse of Maria, Sergeant Kang, and Corporal Pierre among the audience. Her husband, Commander Choi, was at front, looking stern and strict as ever in his clean uniform. Scars were visible from his skin but he was proud of them.

"Behind the success is a man of great honor and wits. I would like to address the greatest and deepest gratitude to Command Sergeant Major Choi Yeonjun for the bravery and dedication to lead our men. With this, I hereby bestow you the highest rank for your invaluable duty."

Commander Choi smiled widely and stood to go on stage. Y/N watched her lover proudly as she applauded on the couch. He stood by the podium, with a medal of honor gleaming on his chest. He's now the Sergeant Major Of The Troops.

"Thank you." He spoke as the applause diminished. "It's been an honor to serve our nation along with our brave heroes and heroines. It was never a straight and easy path. We've encountered a lot of loss. Might as I also say, doubts, risks and downfall. To be a soldier means to bury half of yourself down the grave. But here we are, triumphant as ever. With the taste of glory to savour. "

Commander Choi glanced to a camera.

"I wouldn't have been able to stand here without all my colleagues. Allow me to thank all of you. Especially to our precious nurse and fighter, Y/N L/N, for sparking realizations within me. I know you're watching. I love you."

"I love you too." She mouthed, rubbing her bump.

"As your new Sergeant Major Of The Troops, I, Choi Yeonjun, hereby pledge to continue my duty upon protecting and standing up for our beloved nation, Montverde. And on behalf of all the troops gathered around here, I present a toast for our success."

[End]