Chapter 10: Introductions

Kane went off to track down a healer and I sat on the rounded couch where Cassie and Renzo were making eyes at each other while she sat in his lap. It looked like they already had him bandaged up from that silver knife that got him and it must've not been serious because he certainly had full use of his arms.

"Get a fucking room," I scowled, plopping down.

"What was all that about?" Cassie asked, twisting in Renzo's arms to look at me.

"What?" I asked innocently, picking up the drink I assumed they ordered for me. Renzo drank beer and Cassie drank fruity drinks, this drink was a delicious amber that I could only assume was whiskey. They made no protest as I brought it to my lips.

"You know what," Cassie said, narrowing her eyes. "You and Kane."

I shrugged and threw back the whole drink, feeling the burn go down my throat. "Nothing. He just wanted to talk to me."

"And you two are... okay?" Cassie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay is a strong word," I said carefully. "Let's just say we understand each other a little better."

"Did he tell you what happened with those packs?" Renzo asked.

Fuck. Lying sucked. I didn't really need to lie.

"Yes he did. But it's private," I said, sending them a hard stare.

"Fine," Cassie said, rolling her eyes. "But you feel better about him?"

"A little," I nodded.

I felt eyes on me that were definitely not Kane's, they didn't have the same effect but I did feel a connection which could only mean one thing. I glanced up and found Ben as well as others from Kane's pack looking over at me in concern. I sighed and nodded to them.

"Mind company?" I asked, glancing at Renzo and Cassie.

"Go ahead," Cassie agreed.

I looked over at Ben, waving him over. He was clearly surprised but he walked over, his eyes darting to Cassie and Renzo briefly.

"Hey, why don't you guys join us and I can buy you a drink as thanks for helping with the vampires," I said, patting the seat next to me.

"All of us?" Ben asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yep. All of you."

He grinned and nodded. He must've linked them because they all came behind him. All men. Hm. That would be a problem to bring up to Kane if we were ever going to get anywhere. I scooted over, making Cassie and Renzo scoot to the end so we could make room for them. It was the same five from earlier. Ben sat sort of next to me, leaving a Kane-size space between us.

"This is three of our Gammas," Ben introduced, gesturing to each of them. "Hunter, Connor, and Zach. And the one on the end is one of many Deltas, Wes."

"What's up?" I said, giving them a small smile.

They seemed tense but polite, smiling and nodding.

"The two borderline pornstars behind me are our head Delta, Renzo and our witch, Cassie."

Cassie and Renzo smiled and waved. They also smiled. Awkward silence ensued.