Chapter 31: Reward

I sat on the porch panting, wiping the sweat off my forehead after I tugged on some clothes. The lower half of Drevus Valley was no joke. Full of steep inclines and drop offs, rocky as hell. It was just what I needed. We made it back to the pack-house but it was after dinner. I wondered how the hell that went with the Blood Moon Boys and Kane without me. At least I knew Addie was trying with them.

"Better?" Xander asked, stepping outside and tossing me a water bottle before sinking down next to me.

"A little," I admitted. "Thanks."

"Any time," he nodded, staring straight ahead.

It was dark now. I would have to explain the situation to Kane and see him again before bed but I had to sort things with my mom first. I just had to. My fight with her was ugly but I had a feeling it would have nothing on the fight Xander and I were bound to get into. He was even more protective than she was.

"Can you be real with me for a second?" I asked, looking over at him.

"Have I ever not been?" He countered, raising an eyebrow.

"Fair," I nodded. "Do you think I'm being stupid?"

I wasn't sure I wanted to hear the answer but I couldn't help it. Just because he pissed me off didn't mean I didn't respect his opinion. He was quiet for a long time, so long I started to get antsy. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair like he always did when he was nervous.

"You're not capable of being stupid, Tess. I didn't mean it when I said that," he said, looking over at me. "You're not stupid. I wouldn't have made you my Gamma if I thought you were stupid."

"But you don't think I should give Kane a chance."

He went quiet again, clenched and unclenched his fists before shaking his head. "I don't know, Tess. It's not easy for me to look past what he did to you. But it doesn't really matter what I think," he said, downing the rest of his water. "It matters what you think."

"For the first time in my life I don't feel so certain," I admitted.

"You know what I'm certain of?" He asked.

"What?" I asked, bringing my knees up and resting my chin on them.

"That you'll regret it forever if you don't make up with your mom."

"Ugh," I groaned. "I know."

"Then come on," he said, standing and offering me a hand. "Make it right." I took his hand and he helped me up. "Do you want me to come mediate? And actually listen to me this time?"

"No," I sighed, taking his hand and letting him help me up. "But I wouldn't mind you walking over with me so I don't chicken out."

"All right," he agreed.

We walked towards mom's and the closer I got, the sicker I felt. I didn't know what to say to her, I really didn't. Everything was such a mess. We paused at the porch and Xander gave me a hug before I went in. Just when we separated, the door opened and the last person I expected to see came out.

Kane.

I stood there, dumbfounded. For once, I couldn't think of what to say. His eyes met mine and he gave me a small smile before turning to my mom. "Thank you for talking to me," he said to her. "I'll see you at breakfast."

"At breakfast," mom nodded.

Kane came down the steps and stopped next to me. His eyes darted to Xander briefly before looking at me again. "I'd like to see you before bed," Kane said.

I couldn't form words. What the hell just happened? Was I hallucinating? Xander cleared his throat and nudged me to snap me out of it. I still couldn't speak so I just nodded. Kane gave me another small smile and walked past without another word.