Chapter 57: Close

P.S, the song is for the last half of the chapter ❤️

The amount of tension with everything feeling so vague was almost unbearable, but we tried to get past it. After Thaddeus left, Addie tried to get everyone lighter like they usually were at these dinners. They tried, but everyone was on edge. None of us felt that safe anymore, not knowing The Elders were just sitting there watching us and somehow catching our every move.

Would've been nice if Thaddeus told us how they knew everything, but he was gone and even Mateo didn't have contact information for him.

We were back inside the house and I stayed close to Kane, his hand tight around mine. The crowds on top of the tension was a lot for someone that wasn't used to people and wasn't in his own home.

Vanessa seems hopeful, Kane linked.

I glanced at him and followed his gaze across the room where Nessa was sitting with Kora and Xavier. Nessa's hands were out, palms up, and Kora's hands hovered over Nessa's palms before moving up her arms, along her shoulders, and around to her spine. I couldn't see anything happening but I knew better than that. She was trying something and Kane was right, Nessa did look hopeful.

Kora's really good. I guarantee she won't give this a rest until she finds something to help, I answered.

"Can I talk to you a minute?" Xander asked, stepping next to me. His eyes darted to Kane briefly before returning to me. "Alone?" He specified.

Kane didn't seem too thrilled with that but I only knew that because I felt it in our bond. His expression remained neutral and he let go of my hand, nodding for me to go. I leaned over and pressed a quick kiss to his lips, hoping it would assure him. Xander inclined his head for me to follow and we walked outside, past the tables Addie had set up for people, until we were in the forest and a decent distance from the pack house.

We'd never had to do this before because we could always link. It was weird we couldn't.

"This is kind of awkward," Xander sighed, running his hand through his hair as he turned towards me. "You're uh... You know, you're in your own pack now," he said, darting his eyes away. "That leaves me a gamma short and especially right now, we can't really afford to be short in our ranks."

I nodded slowly, not sure where he was going with this.

"Addie and I have selected a new gamma."

My eyes widened for a second but I made myself find my composure. It caught me off guard, yes, but I couldn't expect him to not replace me. He was right. Especially given the circumstances, they needed to have all their ranks filled. Knowing all that made me wish it was enough to stop the small amount of hurt. It wasn't hurt exactly, more like mourning the loss of a huge chapter in my life. Not that my new one wasn't good, it just was hard to say goodbye to the old one.

"I know this is weird, and the timing isn't great," he said, taking a step towards me. "You know, you'll always be my first gamma, but we do need someone to pull the weight now, and we need them sooner rather than later. I don't want to be insensitive to you," he said, setting his hand on my shoulder. "I don't know what you're thinking right now, but don't think of it as trying to replace you. We can't replace you. We're just bringing in more help to pick up what you can't take care of for us anymore. But I get it if it's too weird for you tonight, we can announce it after you leave. I just thought there might be a part of you that wanted to be here for the announcement, so... Up to you," he said, his hand falling away from my shoulder. "We can announce it tonight, or wait until you're gone."

I swallowed, trying to consider if I could handle seeing someone else take my place. The answer was clear, even through all the convoluted emotions. I wanted the best for Blackstone, I'd always want the best for Blackstone. I could be both sad to say goodbye and also support a new Gamma.