Chapter 17: Awkward

I slept hard despite the insanity of the night before, but I woke up early. I quickly got dressed, choosing to wear a light jacket that would hide the mark. People might know but I didn't want them looking at it and giving me even more pity-stares than I was already getting.

I pulled on leggings and my running shoes, pulling my hair back in a ponytail and going down the stairs. To my surprise, Kane and his pack members were already seated at the counter. My heart was aching for all of them but especially for Zach, who sat there looking like absolutely nothing was wrong. It hurt but I told Ben I'd be normal. Gina was standing in the kitchen with arms crossed, staring them down.

Kane looked over the second I stepped through the doorway. I didn't have time to start anything with him and I didn't even know where to begin. I had so many questions but I also had a shit ton of responsibilities today.

"Morning," Gina said.

"Morning," I said, picking up an apple. "Hear anything?"

"Not yet."

I nodded and twisted the apple around in my hands, leaning back against the counter and staring at the floor. The tension in the room was awful and it only got worse. My mom came into the room with two casserole dishes and was not happy to see Kane and his pack in here. I was slightly worried she'd start something but she apparently decided to ignore them instead and focused on me. She frowned when she saw the apple in my hands.

"Tess, you need more than that," she scolded. "Sit down," she said, patting the stool.

I rolled my eyes and took a seat. Gina sat next to me, between Kane and I. Mom handed Gina plates and she passed them around. My mom piled food onto everyone's plate until she got to Kane's. She narrowed her eyes and set the dish down with a loud clatter.

"Get your own, mutt," she growled.

Kane was taken aback at her reaction but said nothing. Mom came over and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Bye honey. You call me if you need me," she said, sending Kane another glare.

"Thanks mom," I said, waving as she went out the door.

"That was your mom?" Kane asked, his voice strained.

"Yep. She's not overly thrilled with you being here," I said, stabbing into the eggs on my plate. "In case that wasn't obvious."

"Who is?" Gina muttered.

Kane sighed and stayed silent. I needed to say something, he and I had to communicate on some level, I just wish the timing wasn't as completely shit as it was.

Kaden came bounding down the stairs, pulling on a shirt as he came into the room. I talked to him about acting normal and while he briefly glanced at Zach in concern, his carefree grin was back a second later. His hair was still wet from the shower. He set a thick folder down on the counter before dishing himself up some food and plopping down.

"Well aren't we a cheery group this morning," Kaden said lightly. "What's wrong? Everyone in a shitty mood?"

"No, we were all talking until you got here but," I shrugged. "We only talk about you behind your back."

"I get it, you're scared," Kaden shrugged.

I punched him and he laughed.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked, shoveling food into his mouth.

"Like a rock. You?"