Chapter 38: Compromises

Waking up with Kane in a place where there wasn't a chance I could get scolded was more relaxing than I even thought it would be. There was no anxiety of getting a mind-link or running into someone who would give me the strained smile that said without words 'I don't approve but I'm pretending to support you'. Despite Kane's house essentially being a prison, I woke up feeling lighter. Emotionally, at least. Physically, Kane's arms weighed more than I was used to and waking up to him holding my back against his chest had me questioning my ability to take him on if we trained together. Damn, he had nice arms. He had nice everything.

We went to bed with little clothes. He only had on his boxers and I only had on a tank top and panties. The skin contact all night was ridiculously pleasant but also distracting. It was hard to fall asleep when I had his hard body pressed against mine, but once I did, I slept better than I had in a while.

At first I thought he was asleep still but I could hear his heart beating and it didn't sound asleep. I glanced back and saw he was completely awake and may have been for a while. "Morning," I said, settling back against him. "Have you been awake long?"

"A few hours," he shrugged.

"You've just been laying here holding me for a few hours?" I asked. "Didn't you get bored?"

"Did I get bored having my mate in my arms?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "No. I didn't."

The smile slipped out without my permission and I faced forward, sinking back against him more and bringing one of my hands up, lacing our fingers together. "We should make a plan for the day. The faster we get moving on the house thing, the faster we can be in a place that feels more like a home."

"We've never done this before," Kane said as he nuzzled into my neck. For a second, his breath hit my mark and it knocked the air out of me. His arms tightened around me and he moved up and away from it, kissing just under my ear.

"You've never done what before?" I asked, trying to focus on breathing as he nipped at my ear. I wasn't sure if he was consciously or subconsciously pulling me closer but I felt him hard against my ass and it was making my body a mess.

"Put up a house," he said, releasing my hand and sliding his down and under my tank top.

"What do you do when you get new people?" I asked, my eyes sliding shut as he moved his hands up my tank top, the rough skin of his fingers scraping against my skin.

"We order a house," he said, sliding his hand up even more, his knuckles brushing against the underside of my breast. Fuck, I was going to fall apart.

"You order a house," I repeated, inhaling sharply when he squeezed my breast and kissed below my ear again. My body felt like it was on fire. I was aching for him to be inside me and his cock pressed against my ass was not helping. I tried to focus on what he was saying so the words actually made sense. We order a house. Wait, order? I looked back at him in confusion. "You order a house?"

"Yeah, big trucks bring it, I don't know," he shrugged. "Connor handles it, I don't know what they do."

"So you just... Have enough spare money to buy a house instead of building one with your own materials?" I asked.

"Doesn't everyone?" He asked, his brows furrowing.

"Uh... No," I said, shaking my head. "At least, not that I've experienced."

"Huh," he grunted, shrugging and kissing my neck again, his hand tightening on my breast.

I bit my lip and my eyes slid shut again as he started sucking on my neck, a low moan escaping me. "I thought you wanted to get an early start," I breathed.