Chapter 24: Submit

I wasn't sure how long we stayed wrapped around each other, but the rain came down harder and neither of us let go. He surrounded me like a fortress, his arms warm and unfaltering. My cheek laid against his chest and his head was buried in my hair, in my neck. The rain soaked my hair, the drops running down my face. It didn't seem to matter.

Are you okay? It's been hours and it's raining pretty hard. Maybe you should come back, Xander linked.

I'm okay, I assured. It's just rain.

Is he hurting you?

No. I'm okay. Give us more time.

Hours? Had it really been hours? It didn't feel like it.

"Are you cold?" Kane asked, tightening his hold on me.

"No," I answered. "I'm not cold."

"Thank you," he whispered.

"For what?"

"Letting me help you."

My heart fluttered and I held him tighter. He nuzzled into my hair, inhaling deeply. A small whimper escaped him. "I'm sorry," he repeated.

"I'm sorry, too," I sighed.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "You don't need to be sorry. I fucked this up. I didn't say what I said to make you apologize, Tess. I said it so you would know what was going on in my fucked up mind."

"That's not why I'm saying it. Yeah, you messed up big time. But I hurt you, too. And I'm sorry for that," I said, holding him tighter. "I hope you can forgive me."

"Forgive you?" He laughed breathily. "I could never be mad at you for long. Not really. Of course I forgive you. I'm worried you'll never forgive me."

I didn't respond because I wasn't sure. Could I forgive him? His fingers stroked my hair, moving down to the ends and coming back up, pressing into my scalp and running back down to the ends. Something about that gesture made my heart swell, answering my question

"It'll be a process. Probably a long one," I whispered.

"You're worth the wait," he murmured. "You're more than worth the wait. I would wait forever for you."

"Careful, Kane. I might make you wait forever," I said lightly.

"Go ahead. I deserve it and it gives me more time to show you how precious you are to me."

"We've made this into a great clusterfuck, haven't we?" I said, pulling back and looking up at him.

He looked down at me, bringing his hand up and cupping my face. His thumb rubbed over my cheek gently as he gazed down into my eyes.

"I guess we have. Mostly me," he said. "But it's not hopeless. Right?" His eyes searched mine and I couldn't say no.

"Maybe not," I said quietly. "With a lot of work."

He almost smiled, pressing his forehead down against mine. My eyes slid closed. I missed this. I missed this so much. I just wanted to stay out here with him like this and pretend like nothing else happened. But I knew I couldn't and that hurt. I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly, hiding in his neck. He hugged me back just as tightly, cradling my head again while his other arm wrapped around my back, his hand curling around my ribs.

"I'm a diligent worker, Tess," he murmured. "Just tell me what to do."

It was heavy. It was all so heavy and I needed a light moment. I pulled back and looked up at him. "Alpha Kane, are you... submitting?" I teased.