~ 3 ~

Dear Mom,

William has progressively gotten less and less annoying. He'll still make snarky comments and crap like that, but he's polite if we're somewhere no one else can hear us. He's confusing as heck. For example, yesterday.

We're about a month into school at this point, right? Well, Rhea was going to drive me home, for she was coming home for the weekend. It was Friday if you couldn't tell. I was waiting outside, chatting with Lilac, about something I don't remember. Probably her current crush, Blake. I personally think Blake is a jerk, but whatever. I kept noticing that William was glancing at me, which... weird. Lilac finally hopped off the bench, for her brother had arrived. I waved, and as she was driving away, I saw William separate from his friends and start to walk away from them. Towards me. I did that awkward side glance thing where you look quickly and then look away. Finally, he got to me and sat down where Lilac was sitting.

"Hello Anne-Marcie May," he said teasingly. I groaned.

"Why do you have to call me that?" I said with an annoyed scowl. He grinned.

"Why do you introduce yourself with your last name?" he questioned back.

"I think I adapted the habit from my mother," I told him briskly. He nodded.

"What's your mother like?" he asked, simply just making small talk. I stiffened, and I could feel the longing and pain in my gaze.

"She isn't exactly in town," I said in a small voice, turning on him with daggers in my eyes. He flinched away in surprise at my sudden change in mood. "You have no idea how much I miss her." His face was like, gosh, I made a mistake. No kidding. Just then, thankfully, Rhea pulled up. I grabbed my bag and got up off the bench.

"Wait, Anne-Marcie!" he called, grabbing my elbow. I whipped my head around to face him.

"Let. Go. Of. Me," I hissed, and he quickly let go.

"Look, I'm sorry. I had no intention of offending you," he said with plain sorrow in his eyes. I almost forgave him. Instead, I turned back toward Rhea's car and ran towards it. When I closed the door, Rhea started to greet me.

"Hey An-" she started but broke off when she saw my agonized face. I made a hand gesture for her to start driving. She quickly turned back towards the wheel, speeding away from the school. "What happened?" she asked quietly.

"Boy- Mom- Idiot-," I stuttered, and she put up a finger.

"An idiot boy was being insensitive about mom?" she asked sympathetically. I nodded and sniffled a little. "Oh, Anny," she said and reached back to squeeze my shoulder. Rhea always seems to know what's bothering me. She's the closest thing to a mother I've had since you left.

Wish you were here,

Anne-Marcie May