~ 16 ~

Dear Mom,

It's as if the party never happened. Other than the fact that people know we're a couple now. I've also noticed girls at school shooting me glares behind my back. Like I don't see them. But, I do see them. It's almost comical how much I don't care. I guess all those years of becoming indifferent to love also made me indifferent to it's effects. One girl in particular seems to really hate me now. I learned this earlier today.

"This is... different," Lilac started awkwardly. William had asked me to sit with him and his friends, and I said I wouldn't unless my friends did too. They agreed, though a little shocked. It ended up becoming increasingly awkward.

"So... Danielle," Nicholas started, turning towards her with a side smile. She wrinkled her nose.

"Quit it, Shortie. I've got a boyfriend," she snapped, rolling her eyes with a scoff. He looked hurt, and we all started laughing, except for Danielle and Nicholas. When I opened my squinted eyes again, I felt a tingle across my back. I looked around to find a girl staring at me. No, not staring... glaring. I remembered her vaguely; I think she was the girl I played against in soccer that one time... I wouldn't have thought she was attracted to William. I'd never seen her flirt with him. When she caught me looking back at her, she turned around and pretended she wasn't just glaring daggers at me.

"Anne-Marcie!" Danielle said loudly. I blinked a few times and whipped my gaze over to her.

"Huh?" I asked, confused as to why she was yelling at me.

"I asked you what you were going to wear to the Spring Swing," she said, irate.

"Oh... I hadn't even thought about it," I replied. "I don't have anything I think I could wear though."

"Well, that's perfect. Lilac and I were just talking about going shopping this weekend, yeah?" she said, looking over to Lilac. She was chewing on something, so she just nodded. Danielle looked back to me.

"You in?" she asked cheerily. I grinned and nodded.

*****

I was pulling a cream-colored sundress over my head when my phone started ringing. Oh, my GOSH Danielle! I'm coming, was my initial thought. But, when I started walking over to pick up, I realized it wasn't Danielle. It was William.

"What's up?" I started when I picked up.

"Do you wanna do something?" he asked happily. I sighed.

"I would, but Danielle, Lilac, and I are going shopping this afternoon. Sorry," I said reluctantly. He huffed.

"You hang out with them too much," he said gruffly. "You'd think you cared more about spending time with me," he complained. I sat there speechless for a moment.

"Umm, well, excuse me, if I want to spend time with my friends. William, we literally just went on a date yesterday afternoon! I haven't hung out with my friends since we started dating!" I protested angrily. He sighed defeatedly.

"Fine. Whatever. You get so mad, so easily. I think you should be less accusational," he muttered.

"I'm hanging up now," I mumbled. As my finger moved towards the 'hang up' button, I heard him yell.

"Don't you dare hang up on m-!" he started, but I cut him off. I finished getting ready in silence.

Jerk,

Anne-Marcie May