~ 4 ~

Dear Mom,

I've been avoiding William as much as possible, though he's tried multiple times to apologize. I'm thinking maybe I should try to forgive him, but I'm the type of person who holds grudges. When I mentioned it to Danielle and Lilac, they had mixed reactions.

"Jerk," Danielle spat, her blonde curls bouncing as she shook her head. I smiled thankfully at her and she smiled back.

"Maybe you should hear him out?" Lilac suggested shyly. I turned to look at her, hesitating.

"Yeah, I guess," I sighed, my opinion changing with their slight suggestions. I glanced over towards the table he was sitting at. Just then, he met my gaze and said something to his friends. He then rose and started making his way towards us. "Oh great," I muttered. I frowned crossly as he approached.

"Hey Anne-Marcie," he said hesitantly. I looked at him with a cold stare. He avoided eye contact. "I just wanted to say... sorry. For the other day," he murmured quietly. When he leaned down to whisper something in my ear, I bristled. "I really am."

"It's... whatever," I muttered, and he sighed. He then turned and walked away.

"Well that was... unexciting," Lilac said with a huff. I grinned and threw a bread roll at her. She squealed in protest, shielding her face with her hands.

"I'd like to see Blake be exciting," Danielle teased, to which Lilac blushed and frowned at her. We both burst into laughter.

After school, Danielle, Lilac, and I were all standing together at the bus loop, when William came up to us. I groaned when I saw him start to approach us.

"What is this guy's deal?" I muttered, irrate.

"There's always the possibility that he likes you," Danielle said matter-of-factly. "And before you say it, yes, I know you don't believe in love. But, he doesn't know that," she said, and started to talk to Lilac again. I sighed and walked away to meet William.

"Yeah?" I asked, defensive. He side-smiled, and my heart did this weird little thing where it felt like it twisted up into a knot.

"I was wondering... could I have your number?" he asked hesitantly. "You're a very peculiar person, and I would like to get to know your mind better." My blood seemed to run cold. Maybe Danielle was right.

"S-sure," I stammered, because what was I supposed to do? Be like, 'Heh, no way, leave me alone'? No. I proceeded to enter my number into his phone as Anne-Marcie, to which he added my last name. I scowled and walked away.

"What was that about?" Lilac pressed. I sighed.

"He asked for my number," I muttered, to which they both gasped.

"Oh, Anne-Marcie! You've got an admirer!" Danielle squealed. I groaned.

"But I don't want that!" I protested. "Eventually he'll tell me that he wants to be with me, and I have to tell him, to his face, that I can't love anyone!" I say in a quietly agonized tone. Lilac's face went sympathetic. Danielle just looked disappointed. Then her face came determined and... mischievous if I wasn't mistaken.

"Alright then," she said, and looked towards the parking lot. "I guess we should all be heading off now. Cya girls!" she called, and started off towards the parking lot. I shook my head and followed her slowly. Lilac walked beside me, but she didn't talk. She was good at things like that, knowing when you needed silence.

Why do I have such a bad feeling about this?

Send help,

Anne-Marcie May