17

Lilliana Morst

After work I took the bus home since I hadn't yet saved up for another car. Even though my mother worked at a car dealership, she still refused to help me out with purchasing a car, stating that I should work for everything I possess. Right now I just wanted to possess some personal space again, because the dude to my right smelled like must and cigarettes as he flashed his money around on Snapchat.

I looked down at my phone, texting my cousin with a smile as I sat in the seat closest to the aisle.

Dahnée: I'm buying a car soon. From yo mama

Dahnée: why don't u neva ask her to help u out wit 1?

Me: cuz she wants me to earn it for myself 🙄 shii it's not like I'm askin ha to buy it for me, just to give me a lil discount

Dahnée: damn... well, when u free? We should hang sometime, I feel like us meetin 2day was rushed asf

Me: whenever u got sum time. I usually don't work overtime

Dahnée: I was thinkin bout maybe goin to a club or sumin. How old r u? 21 rii?

Me: 20. It's all good doh, sneak a drink out fa me lmfaooo 🤣🤣

Dahnée: now how da hell would I do dat? 🧐

Me: order sum drinks, bring drink containers to put it in and hide it as u leave da place simple🙂

Dahnée: and here I thought my older cuz was innocent 🤧

Me: u da one who should be innocent. U da 19 yr old

Dahnée: shhh 😂😂

The Metro bus slowed to a stop and I realized we were at my stop.

Me: brb I'm gettin off da bus. If ion text back dis funky ass nigga to da left of me den kidnapped me and claimed me as his bitch 🤪

Dahnée: typing...

I got up and quickly made my way out of the doors. I stepped off of the bus next to the shed of the bus stop; realizing that it was sprinkling, I ducked underneath it.

"You know when the train going to Kashmere is coming?" an older woman asked me. "This is my first time riding," she explained.

"I'm not sure ma'am. I'd suggest going to their website," I offered. She nodded and pulled out her phone. I slipped my own into my bra safely and prepared myself to stay focused. I couldn't chance somebody robbing me or taking advantage of me because I was busy listening to music or texting on my phone. Once the rain lightened up, I'd start walking towards the apartment I could barely afford.

Oh joy.

Lightning crackled in the sky as the sound of thunder made me the shed over us rattle. "Damn, I didn't think it was gon rain today. It said 30 percent on the news," the older lady mumbled. I sighed, willing for the rain to let up. I hadn't even thought to check the news, because if I had I would have brought my umbrella. I didn't want to get drenched then be too sick for work tomorrow. Work was what allowed me to pay for my bus rides and my apartment. It was forever a continuous loop.