33

Lilliana Morst

I don't know what had come over me to threaten Tey last night with that butcher knife, but some heavenly force or mystical being must have been on my side. Today, she sent me to the store to grab some groceries, so I'm enjoying a fresh break of air from Teyanne's reach.

I was also trying to think up a good plan on how I'll get Gia and Tey together. I rode in the back of my Lyft, wondering how long Gia and Tey had been acquainted and if they would ever feel even a tinge of romantic feeling towards one another. This would be a hopeless cause if they didn't have any remote attraction towards each other.

"Right here?" the lady asked me, taking a puff out of her vape. "Yeah, right here's good," I answer, making sure I had all of my things together. I applied a fresh layer of clear lip lacquer across my soft lips. I made sure my shades look right over my swollen eyes and that my turtleneck in this hot ass weather was covering up all my marks and bruises.

It felt like Tey hadn't spared an inch of my skin.

I got out without thanking the woman and walked towards the entrance doors of the neighborhood Walmart. I entered and the cold air seemed to freeze me for a moment. Everyone was living life like normal. It was only my world shaken around and thrown everywhere. I shook myself out of my funk and grabbed a basket. I looked down at my grocery list I had written out on a piece of paper and taken a picture of on my phone.

Bread, eggs, celery, pads, turkey bacon, sliced cheese, lunchables for Tey, microwaveable pizza, feminine wipes, chili for nachos, soft taco shells, and oranges. I put in my earbuds, grateful that Tey let me bring my phone, and started playing my sad playlist. Layton Greene rang clear through my ears as I went about my shopping. I had paused it to to check a text from Teyanne when a group of high schoolers passed by me.

One of them was clowning the other for flinching whenever he bucked at him. For some reason, that shit ticked me off. Now that I really think about it, it's crazy how in school we used to laugh and joke about people flinching when we don't know what they had going on at home. Like, it could be a genuine reason they was flinching because of shit going on at home but we used to clown and make people embarrassed for an honestly human reaction.

I calmed myself down and tuned out the high schoolers, answering Tey's text. Just as I put my music back on, I saw a random number send me something. I opened it and sighed. I was already slightly annoyed now. I had deduced that it was a family member now, and by the contents of the text, Grandma's funeral was on Saturday. Tomorrow.

I briefly wondered if Tey would let me go, and if she did, would I be allowed to go alone. I somehow doubted the latter, but I think I want her there this time. She might need to hold me back when I see a few people. I wonder if Grandma still look fucked up from that little beating she got. She deserved that.

I wonder if that's how Tey feels about me.

I paused then got my emotions together. Ima settle this Teyanne shit. She hadn't put her hands on me again since last night, but some part of me knows she'll probably try something again. And let's face it, I'm not stronger than her. After I got everything I needed from the store, I got in line and paid for another ride back to the crib.

All this shit is gonna end soon, whether it's gonna be in a good way...or a bad way.

When I get home, Teyanne isn't there. I don't bother trying to get my bags down from the closest and escaping. Some part of me has a feeling that this is a test, and that escaping would also be hopeless. I have a different plan anyways, one that I have a strong feeling will work. If I can get Gia and Teyanne cozy, then a lot of my problems just might be solved.

I put up the groceries and tidy up the house, thinking about how I can set my plan into motion. I won't let Gia get hurt, I just need to make sure I don't. How do I convince a girl to steal my girl is the question? Maybe I can start beef with Gia and make her want to fuck Teyanne.

But that might bring Tey's wrath down on me.

Tey came home about forty minutes later, stretching and sweaty. I guess she had made good use of the gym in the apartment complex. "How you doing?" I asked her, making myself a smoothie. "Good," she answered blandly, taking off her sweaty shirt and revealing her plain black sports bra.

"Did you do any training today?" I asked, plopping some pineapple chunks into the machine.

"Yeah, and I did a Zoom with Gia," she said. I tried to read her face, but if there's one thing I've learned about Teyanne- her emotions aren't her own. "I think we should have a party to celebrate you getting the job," I suggest, surprising even myself.

"But I don't have the job yet," she passes me without a kiss, although I'm not complaining. Being physical with her has lately made me nauseous and irritable. "Still, we should have some fun," I smile at her.

"We don't have any Dallas friends, and I'd rather not alert any Houston friends that we're here," she grumbled. She must be in a bad mood, I'd rather not make her angry. I dropped the topic and worked in silence. "I'm sure Gia would want to hang with us. Maybe she can take us to an event or something," Teyanne said. "She's a party girl."

"I found out my grandmother's funeral is Saturday. This Saturday," I say.

"Damn, harsh topic switch," Tey chuckles. She kisses my neck and sighs against it. "I'm sorry for your loss, bae."

"She was a rude bitch anyways, I feel no remorse. I'm only gonna go so I can beat a few bitches asses," I shrug. "Damn. Well you already know I'm coming," Tey adds, leaning against the fridge. Suddenly I have deja vu of the other day.

"And we both know you know how to beat a bitch's ass, so you better back me up too," I add, half joking.

I didn't look up to see Teyanne's response to that. She started walking towards our bedroom. "I gotchu, ma," she only says. Letting the blender do its work, I hope she does. She don't even know she finna be her own downfall.

I told her from the beginning- ain't nobody finna play me like a weak bitch.