18

Teyanne Sully

I was driving back to Houston when I got a call I most definitely wasn't prepared for. "Hello? Oh wassup, Gia?"

"Tey, ion know what way to put this. My friend was collecting my money after I performed on stage and we both overheard something while I was talking to him." I listened in curiously as I made a left turn. I knew that Gia worked at a strip club and that she heard a lot of drama that filtered from Christiano to Houston because of the club's location and its messy inhabitants. "Ight, so?" I let my words trail off.

"I don't even know where the rumor- or if it's a truth -started but some girls was talking about the big scandal down at Christiano Church and I immediately thought of you, or at least your mother. They were saying how some girl's family was trash talking you and how y'all got kicked out and this and that."

"Damn," I mumbled, trying to slow down my speeding heartbeat. "Hold on, ima pull over."

"I wouldn't've told you this while you were driving, my bad Tey Tey," Gia told me sincerely. "It's Ight," I told her, pulling in at what looked like a closed event hall. "What was the girl's name? Lilliana?" I prompted her. I could hear something clacking in the background. "I don't know her first name, just that her last name was Morst. I don't know if they're a well known family in Houston or something, but they're definitely going for blood with some of these remarks."

"But why? Lilliana and I hardly had anything together. Did you hear anybody say she was saying some stuff too?" I asked Gia. I felt wounded.

"Nahh- well actually yes, but the way gossip works is that some of it is untrue. I'm willing to bet the way they talking about babygirl and people in the LGBTQ+ community is that they're really...everything phobic," Gia laughed bitterly. "I think her family is targeting her and you. You should probably try to meet up with her and see if you can smooth things over. What's your mama saying about all of this?"

"I haven't heard anything from my family yet. But her and I did get into an argument yesterday, that's why I'm heading back to Houston," I explained.

"If I was you I'd stay at that fancy house of yours wit ya Jag, because yeah, people might look at you different in Christiano and they may have known you for awhile, but people in Houston are knowing you for the first time. People are gonna be in your business, saying 'Oh I saw Tey here' and 'Was that Tey at the party' or 'Tey was drunk and said this'. I think Christiano is the safest bet, Tey," Gia rambled on.

I took in a deep breath that did little to calm me.

"I really am a celebrity huh?" I asked her bitterly.

"I had a few clothes to stay the night somewhere, and I'm on the outskirts of da H already. What should I do?" I asked my friend helplessly.

"Hope like Hell nobody recognizes you immediately and stay somewhere discreet," Gia suggested.

"Damn, you acting like these people da cops. What about...at your place?" I asked her with hope in my voice. "Tey, I live in da hood. People talk here. You wouldn't go unnoticed. Especially with that car and, don't quote me on this, but especially with your looks," Gia told me.

"You think I'm sexy?" I asked her, smirking.

"I think your lisp is cute and you know your way with women," I could practically hear Gia rolling her eyes.