24

Teyanne Sully

I know that Lilliana has been taking most of the stress between the two of us the hardest. She's a true hard worker at heart and she sleeps and breathes trying to find us a source of income. Despite how much I might argue that all of this was equally our fault together- I still have a sense of guilt about all of this.

I wanna make it up to my woman and make her feel like the queen of the world- even if for a short second. It might not seem like we have much to be grateful for, but at least we've left all this drama behind. At least we're together. At least we're starting to take the paths in life we've always wanted to.

I held a bouquet of paper flowers I had expertly cut out from old lined paper. It was taped together and the final touch was one of the ribbons my mother used to put in my hair as a child. Lilliana wasn't even looking as she left our room in a tight bikini, her ass swallowing up the thong string that was cushioned between her cheeks.

"Surprise," I said softly as she looked up.

Her face fell into a small smile and she chuckled at my attempt of a bouquet. She accepted it graciously and pretended to smell it. "Ahh, dusty boxes and paper. A scent to envy," she laughed, pecking me on the cheek. "Thanks Teyanne. I really do appreciate it, Daddy." My eyes rose at that last bit and I was wondering if I should rip that bikini off of her right now. "We're going to the pool. Not the bed again," she gently pushed me aside and laid her bouquet on the counter.

I had on swim trunks and a towel laid over my shoulder. Our tops were typical swim tops and Lilliana now had a bottle of sunscreen in her hand. "I wonder how everybody's doing," she commented.

"I don't," I shrugged. "They den caused enough problems."

"They still family at the end of the day," my girl argued, walking alongside me as we exited our place.

"Okay, but just because we share the same blood don't mean we gone get along nor do we have to. If we all was sposed to, then it would be in our blood to get along," I shrugged. "But family is all you have at the end of the day," she said back. "No, at the end of the day yourself is the only person you can rely on. Everybody got wants and needs, not one human is completely loyal," I laughed bitterly.

"Then what about me, Teyanne?" Lilliana stopped walking and looked up at me.

I rolled my eyes, "I'd say human loyalty ranges from 30 percent to 89 percent. You're an 89 percent, why wouldn't you be happy about that?"

"Cause it makes it seem like yuun trust nobody, and that ain't cool," she argued, hands on hips.

"Well I got trust issues then, what about it?" I shrugged, growing annoyed. "You don't gotta nag about everything you disagree with. People are allowed to have different opinions-

"Oh my gosh," Lilliana said exaggeratedly, "I do not nag about everything I disagree about. I'm not immature- unlike you," she scoffed.

I was about to say something smart back to that when Lilliana's phone rung. "Hold on. Ima get back onnat ass in a second," she held up her hand to me. She answered and immediately frowned. I let the petty argument go and tried to listen in on the conversation, hoping that everything was alright.

"Heart cancer?" she mumbled.

I frowned, stepping closer to hear what the other person on the line was quickly saying. "Where is she?" Lilliana asked. "Who is it?" I whispered, trying to search my girlfriend's face for an answer. Tears welled up in Lilliana's eyes but she kept her voice strong as she spoke to the other person.

"That is not my fault but I will be there to support my grandmother. All of you can go to hell by the way." She hung up and tears dribbled down her soft face. "My grandmother has heart cancer," she broke down in my arms, her sudden mood change damn near giving me whiplash.

"Are you going back to see her?" I asked, even though I had already heard what she told her family member. "Yes, but only for her. My grandmother was so kind to me. Hopefully she'll remain that way," Lilliana sighed. I glanced down at our swim attire, "We should probably turn back then and start getting ready."

Lilliana wiped at her red eyes, "Tey, I'm gonna be the only one going. If you go back it'll just be more mess. I like how peaceful it's been, I'd rather not ruin that." I nodded like I understood, but I still didn't know why I couldn't go. They knew she was gay, and they knew that she was probably with me. Of course it was going to be drama there, but whether I go or not it will be some. Why not just let me go? I don't like the thought of Lilliana in Houston all alone.

She lightly turned my chin and made me face her. "I know you wanna go, but trust me. It's better this way. I probably won't be gone longer than a week. I don't really know the details of the cancer, so this may or may not be my final moments with her." My heart softened. She was just worried about her grandmother, I shouldn't be selfish right now.

"I'll help you pack up babes," I promised, lacing her fingers through mine. I was also grateful that we weren't arguing anymore.

We turned and reached our apartment, two men in all black at the door staring at the knob. They were trying to break in, I realized. I turned to Lilliana and she looked back at me with shock. The two men still hadn't realized we were there, and no one else was in sight. Lilliana slowly put her things on the ground and revealed a knife. My eyes scanned over their black attire. I wouldn't be able to see if they were packing if I wanted to.

I didn't have a weapon of my own so I could only watch as Lilliana lunged at one of their backs and drove the knife in deep. He yelped and the other guy spun around. He nearly knocked his friend over trying to get away. The other man fell to the ground, blood seeping out of his back as he attempted to move. I think he had lost all feeling in his body by the way he sputtered.

Sense overtook me and I started calling the cops as the other guy began running away from us. Lilliana held the bloody knife in her hand, staring from me to the guy on the ground in fear.

"T-T-Tey?"