Chapter 1

I think I've figured out why I always dwell on the pain so much; because unlike the happy moments, which are few in itself, the suffering leaves scars that make it hard to forget the pain. They serve as reminders you're forced to look at every single day.

Representing your pain and how it will never end, just like the scars will never fade. It's been a while since I've been happy. That I don't even recognise the feeling anymore.

If deceit came dressed as happiness I would welcome it with open arms, and offer it a drink. I'd sit down and tell it my secrets and share a laugh.

Then as it crumbles up my world around me. I'll wear a smile and offer it a place to stay. Because at least I'm happy, right?

Start of flashback:

A light gets shined into my eye and I move my head away from it. "Morning Miss Rivera." An unfamiliar voice greets.

Opening my eyes slowly I am brought face to face with a doctor, my eyes travel down to all the needles and tubes attached to my arms. But that's not the thing that worries me, I feel unusually empty.

Everything seems so blurry, my head is pounding and I can feel my pulse banging against my skull.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" The voice asks.

A doctor, with light brown skin, dark brown eyes, and hair in small twists, stands in front of me and holds up four fingers. "Four." I rasp out.

The doctor shines a light into my eyes as I can hear my breathing being ever so obnoxiously loud. "You're going to have to be careful with her Rye. She's still got a concussion and she's seeing double everything."

"Axel, I didn't ask if she had a concussion. I asked if she was alive, I don't need you tell me a fucking mini life story."

Whilst the two voices argue a little I look down at the needles and tubes hanging out of my body. I go to take them out but the doctor holds onto my hand stopping me. I look over at him and furrow my eyebrows.

"Where am I?" My voice is croaky.

"You've been unconscious for a few days and you are still where you were last time, just in the medic bay."

I feel the need to cry when I realise that Carlo still hasn't come and got me.

"Leave." Rye orders as he walks over to the side of the bed in laying on. The doctor excuses himself and leaves the room quietly.

Rye stands by the side of the bed a little further away so he can lean against the wall and he folds his arms. "I didn't know you were pregnant." He mumbles to himself. "You didn't say you were pregnant." He glares at me.

My eyes widen a little, neither did I.... I never looked at the tests.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I question.

Rye rubs a hand over his face, "You had a miscarriage."

I feel the air knocked out of me and it feels as if my heart breaks into tiny pieces. I look down at my belly for a second,

At least you got out of this mess, il mio bambino. (My baby)

Looking back at Rye I tilt my head to the side and breathe out a laugh. "You mean you beat me and my unborn child to the point it died."

"Yes and no." He shrugs, unfazed by everything. "You wouldn't have been able to follow through with the pregnancy anyway, you have no nutrition and are very skinny." He laughs.

I killed it...

What did you expect Adelaide? You can't even look after yourself.

Useless.

I close my eyes and shake my head, once again I go to pull out the needles and no one stops me. I pull each needle out and surprisingly I don't feel the pain.

End of flashback:

"Get up!" Rye shouts as he enters the cell, I ignore him and stay sat in the corner staring off into space.

Rye crouches down in front of me making me look at him, "Listen, no one is coming. It's been three months nearly four. You're all alone. So get up!"

Slowly I stand up and he throws me work out clothes. "Get dressed then go to the gym." He walks out and leaves the door unlocked.

I get changed into a pair of black leggings and a baggy black shirt. I tie my hair up and walk over to the gym which is up the cellar steps and to the left.

You may be wondering why I haven't tried to run as soon as he left me in the unlocked cell. Well I've already tried that.

It didn't work out well for me is all I'll say. Rye has cameras everywhere and guards following my every move.

On my way to the gym I think about the things I've missed. Izzy's birthday, my birthday, Valentine's Day, so much more.

I'll probably miss everything.

"Hey Adelaide." Axel, my trainer, greets. Axel was also the doctor who was there when I had the miscarriage.

"Hi." I whisper, feeling exhausted and empty.

"We'll do a warm up then get onto the punching bags." He explains.

I nod my head and walk over to him doing everything he tells me to do, he talks and talks about anything and everything whilst I stay silent.

I had the miscarriage a month into being here, I got hit for not telling Rye I was pregnant. But how was I supposed to know when I didn't even look at the tests?

Okay yes I had symptoms of being pregnant, but does anyone actually believe that type of thing when it happens? You just want the proof.

Rye started making me go to illegal fighting arenas. He owns them all, the ones we go to, and keeps everything undercover. I fight, he gets money. And the bruises I show up to the arena's in get shrugged off as being there because of the fights and not because of Rye and his men.

Not that anyone would even question it.

Axel and I walk over to the punching bags and he holds onto it as I start to do whatever he calls out and then repeating the routine whilst he continues to tell me about his wife.

Axel is probably the only nice one here, no one here knows that he has a wife because apparently she would get killed.

Sometimes Axel annoys me with his talking, but other times it calms me. His wife's name is Rosalyn. She is honestly so gorgeous, he showed me a picture once, but had to burn it quickly so no one would see. She has this gorgeous light brown hair and dazzling blue eyes.

There's one topic I hate Axel talking about and that's how happy he is about her being pregnant. He goes on and on about how he's always wanted to be a dad.

It makes my heart ache. Carlo probably wanted to be a dad. Especially with him always asking what we would name our children.

The gym door opens and Axel straightens up, "Hit it harder!" He shouts.

Rye walks over to us but I ignore him and continue on what I'm doing. "You're next fight is tomorrow so you can be here longer than usual. Make sure she eats." He orders Axel and walks back out again.

This is the thing about Rye. Yes it may seem nice that he's making sure I eat, but there's a meaning behind it.

I passed out a few times from the training and became weak as fuck, I refused food and I had to go back to the medical room to get a tube fitted.

I only had it for a week because I got annoyed at it and pulled it out. They did try to put a new one in but I pulled them out. So now Axel has to watch me eat and if I refuse then.

I get force fed.