Chapter 22

A knock on the door brings my attention away from the fireplace in front of me. "Hey angel. I brought you a drink."

I look over to Giovanni who has a hairbrush and hair product in one hand and with the other a hot drink. I stand up from sitting on the floor and take the drink.

"Can I have a hug?" He asks.

I shake my head no and blow the hot drink to cool it down. Tears swell in my eyes and I watch him nod his head. He presses a quick gentle kiss to my forehead and I move away quickly.

"Come sit down." He points to the floor in front of a couch and I do as he says. He sits in the chair behind me. "Want me to?" He asks.

I nod my head and sip the drink watching the fire spiral around. I feel him section my hair and tie it up on my head whilst leaving some out.

He puts some of the hair product in his hand and runs his fingers through my hair before brushing it through.

Rose and Alessia had waited for me to finish my bath and stayed with me in the room for a few minutes before I had to get out of there. The baby things was just too much.

I had walked down a few hallways and lost them on the way until I found this room and I started the fire.

"Carlo missed you. We all did." Giovanni says, breaking the silence.

"Okay." I whisper, drinking more of the drink.

He doesn't try to talk to me again and brushes my knotty hair in sections. Just the sound of the fire crackling and the smell of the fire and the slight sweetness of my drink fill the room.

When he finishes he brushes the hair behind my ears and makes sure it's out of my face, by that time I've finished my drink.

(Start song)

"Hey."

I look over to the door and Carlo is standing there with bloodshot eyes and a pair of black sweatpants with a black hoodie on. His hair is messy and he is standing up whilst rocking slightly, with his hands in his pockets.

Giovanni stands up and looks at me once more before walking past Carlo, patting his shoulder on the way out. Carlo closes the door and stands there staring at me.

I look away from him and stare at the fire. "How's Axel?"

"He's fine." He clears his throat as his voice breaks. "His... um... wife came here as soon as we found her number."

I nod my head. "Thanks."

I listen to him walk over across the room and eventually he sits down on the floor in front of me. "Did he do that?" He asks, pointing to my face.

"Yeah." I mumble.

He nods his head with his jaw clenching. "I'm sorry." He whispers not looking at me. "For not getting you quicker."

I nod my head. He finally looks at me and I can see he's crying, I smile a little at him. That makes him cry harder and he puts his face in his hands as his body shakes slightly with each quiet sob.

"Hey." I whisper while holding my hand out to put it in his hair but immediately pull my hand back when I get anxious about touching him. "It's okay." He looks at me a little.

I'm used to not being a main priority.

"You probably had other things to do. Isabella is still growing up, I saw Nicola running around so I'm guessing Ricardo is here too. Those two need to grow and Ricardo is still a baby, Rose doesn't look very well so I'm sure you had to watch out for her."

He looks at me with his face scrunched up. "Adelaide-"

"It's okay Carlo. I'm safe now." I look to the side and stare at a painting on the wall. "Right?"

"You're my first priority. You know that right?" He asks.

"Sure." I mumble.

"I love you Adelaide."

I look back at him.

"Do you think you can show me to a room? I'm tired." I ask.

His eyes flood with more tears if that is possible. "We have a room."

"I don't want to be in there. If that's okay?" I fiddle with my fingers as I ask him.

He nods his head and I stand up.

"Adelaide I really do love you. I swear on everything I love you so fucking much. I haven't stopped thinking about you." His voice cracks at the end. "You bring the best out in me and I haven't been myself in a while. I love you so much Adelaide and I'm regretting so many things."

I stand in front of him as he looks up at me. "I'm tired." I try to say. He wants me to tell him I love him. I don't think I can say that.

"You do know I love you right?" He questions standing up, he towers over me and I look up at him. "So fucking much."

I stare at him for a second. "Don't do that to yourself, Carlo." I turn around and start walking out of the room. "Which way?" I ask not knowing where my second room is.

I hear him sob loudly behind me before side stepping around me and letting me follow him. I run my fingers against the wall beside me as I walk down the hallway.

He stops at a door and I come around a stop in front of him, I open the door and walk into the spare room.

I climb into the bed and lift the covers over me. Carlo stands over at the door crying and moving from one foot to the other. "Can I stay with you?" He whispers.

"Okay." I whisper back and he quickly closes the door. He makes his way to the bed and lays down on his side facing me.

There's a long silence and he stares at me whilst I look back at him sleepily, opening and closing my eyes.

"Can I hold you?"

----

Start of flashback: (from first book. Third person):

"Can I hold you?" Carlo whispers.

Adelaide slowly looks at Carlo as if trying to analyse him and see if he's going to do anything. Eventually, she nods her head softly and pulls his hand a little closer.

Carlo moves closer to Adelaide and he wraps his free arm around her and brings her closer, she nestles her head just under his chin and clutches his hand as if she thinks he's going to leave.

"Thank you Carlo." Adelaide whispers tiredly.

"For what?" He whispers back.

Adelaide stays silent for a few seconds before nuzzling her head into his neck more and sighing, "Saving me." She whispers again, so quietly that Carlo almost missed it.

End of flashback:
--------

I continue to look at him for a second making sure he won't hurt me.

"No."

I whisper quietly and move myself a little further away from him and turn to face the other way. I close my eyes and slowly fall asleep knowing he's probably crying and watching me.