Chapter 42

Fast forward a few months:

CARLO'S POV:

"No." Adelaide deadpans as she stands away from me on the bed. "Do I look like I want to get kidnapped again?" She points to her face where an emotionless look rests.

I'm leaning against the bathroom door whilst she stands on top of the bed like the little woman child she is. It's the only thing that'll make her taller.

"I know Adelaide." I rub my forehead.

We were both invited to a Christmas ball and she has a very reasonable reason not to go.

"No, because you don't know." She starts shouting. "I'm the one that got kidnapped! I'm the one that was all alone! I'm the one that almost bled to death multiple times!" Tears well up in her eyes.

I look down silently. "So you don't know. Did you get dragged out of a mansion?" She questions getting off the bed and standing in front of me.

"No." I mumble.

"Did you have people that love you surrounding you?" She tilts my head up so I can look at her.

"Yes."

"So don't you try and make me go to a ball. Around the same time I got kidnapped, might I add. Don't you dare. It's not fair Carlo." She let's go of my chin roughly and walks towards the door. "It's not fair." And with that she leaves the room.

"Fuck." I breathe out and drag a hand over my face whilst sliding down the door and sitting on the floor.

After a second I run out of the bedroom and across the house to the newly built and set up garage Giovanni made for her. It's the place other than my moms room where she stays in the day.

The only reason why I want her to go is because it's our Mafia ball. Plus there will be children there, triple the amount of guards maybe more, I have people coming from around the world to guard it and make sure she doesn't leave again. Or anyone of that matter.

Sure there will be other mafias there, but the more alliances we make the more protection her and the rest of the family have.

I enter the garage and see her talking angrily to Giovanni who is trying to stop her from fixing an engine.

"You calm down before touching one of these. If you fuck up because of your mood that's not going to help." He glares at her.

I walk to her and hug from behind. "I'm sorry." I mumble into her neck.

"No fuck off." She pushes me away and hides behind Giovanni. She whispers something to him and he glares at me as well.

"Idiot." He slaps the back of my head. "There were nicer ways to ask her."

"So you all want me to go?" She asks, dumbfounded by the fact we even thought she would go.

And so, I tell her the plans of keeping her safe and she finally calms down. Giovanni and I explain the details of how the night will plan out and that if there is a second of uncomfortableness from her we will leave and I will be locked in room with her until she feels safe.

Giovanni finally allows her to touch the car with a tool and she works on it keeping her hands busy whilst we continue to talk it through.

"Fine." She wipes her hands clean. "I'll go. But if I get kidnapped I don't want you to come and get me. I'll just beg the kidnapper to kill me. Or I'll do it myself."

I feel the air knocked out of me as she walks out of the room leaving the two of us shocked by her words.

But is it really shock?