Chapter 35

CARLO'S POV:

"STOP!" A bloodcurdling scream wakes me up from my sleep and I sit upright looking around the room trying to see where it came from.

I finally make out a figure sitting on a singular couch in the corner of the room next to the balcony. The two doors are open and the nets and see-through white curtains blow with the wind and cover the figure.

I hear a sob echo slightly around the room, I get out of bed slowly and make my way over to them.

In the moonlight I can see Adelaide's tear stained cheeks and she's rocking back and forth slightly. She looks up at me, "Make it stop." She sobs and my legs buckle underneath me.

"Please." Her voice cracks and I kneel down in front of her, she falls into my arms and I wrap my arms around her softly. "You've got to make it stop." Her body shakes in my arms as I feel tears well in my eyes by the sound of her voice.

We stay like this for a long time, until the sounds of birds outside start singing. By this time Adelaide has become some type of numb and isn't holding me anymore.

I have moved to rest my head on her lap with my arms hugging her waist close, she is sat upright and staring at the other side of the room with the occasional sniffle.

Everything is quiet, an eerie quiet. Her breathing is almost mechanical, and there is no light in her eyes. She doesn't seem to be a human, almost robotic.

I move my hands under her hoodie and place my hands on her skin. She's freezing, goosebumps lay under my hands and I rub them slowly feeling her calm a small amount.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I mumble into her lap, moving my head to her waist so I'm covered slightly by her arm.

"I can't tell you." Her voice strained from screaming and crying.

"Why baby?"

She's silent. "I don't want to hurt you."

"I promise you're not hurting me." I wrap my pinky around hers and kiss it. I leave my lips against her hand and hold onto her pinky.

"Was your dream about Rye?"

"No. A man that was there"

"What was he doing in your dream?" I mumble.

"Bad things." I feel something wet on the back of my neck and then her cold fingers brushing the wetness away. "Sorry."

She apologised for crying?

"It's okay to cry Adelaide." I kiss her hand again. "What bad things?"

Her body shakes as she relives the moment again and I hold her closer. I close my eyes shut as I get a feeling of what she's about to say.

"I promise I tried to push him away. I did. He wouldn't move." She sounds frustrated and I lift my head up to look at her. "He pinned me down and- and he wouldn't move."

A tear falls down my cheek and place my hands on either side of her face pulling her towards me. I kiss her forehead and leave a lingering kiss as we both cry.

"Why wouldn't he move?!" She shouts, sobbing. "Why couldn't I make him move?! I'm so weak." She whispers the last part as she cries harder.

"That's not your fault." I cry harder and rest my head in her neck as she grips my shirt into her hands. "I'm so sorry Adelaide. Fuck I'm so sorry."

I hold her closer if possible and cry with her.

When we've both calmed down I pick her up and take her to the bed. She rolls onto her side so she's facing me and I bring the blanket over the both of us. I slip my arm under her head and hold her.