Chapter 8

CARLO'S POV:

It's been three weeks since the plan against Tobias and I've become angry again. I was finally getting my little sister back but now I am hiding from her so I don't shout.

Mom still sits in the corner of my office everyday but doesn't say anything to me, I think she can see I'm troubled again. Giovanni had been helping me with the anger and my other emotions but sometimes he just pisses me off even more.

More envelopes have been scattered near my parts of the city, they aren't telling me how she is anymore.

The first week they said she was strong, but now?

The past two weeks have been giving me times. At those specific times I send men disguised and go to one of the locations Tobias gave me. Five men each so it doesn't get too suspicious but they haven't seen her.

I stay at the house and spend most of my time in the basement torturing people who the guards have brought back with them for information.

"Check mate." Giovanni mumbles, concentrated by our intense chess game.

Before I can move a space Jonathon barges into the room holding an envelope, "It's telling us to not go for a few days."

I look up at him angry. "What?"

"The letter. It's saying stop going." He pants clearly out of breath.

"Does it say why?" Giovanni asks, walking over to him.

"No. Nothing like that."

I look behind the two of them near the door to see Bella, she waves a little and I wave back cautiously. She walks into the office with her eyes on me and she comes and stands next to me holding my hand in hers. Bella doesn't say anything, just holds my hand looking up at Giovanni.

I take some deep breaths to calm myself down and not shout at anyone. "I want CCTV footage of that alleyway to see who is dropping the notes off and which way they walked ASAP." I demand.

Jonathon nods his head. "Yes boss." He walks out closing the door behind him and the room is left with a nervous silence.

"Giovanni's winning." Bella points to the chess board.

We all look at her as she looks back dead serious. I smile a little at her and she smiles back.

Don't fuck it up Carlo.

****
GIOVANNI'S POV:

He's drunk.

Again.

"Marco, get me a bottle of water." I order holding Carlo's head up so he doesn't fall.

"Hey Gioo." He slurs.

I freeze momentarily thinking about Adelaide. I shake my head when a bottle of water gets handed to me. "Thanks. Make sure Rose and Bella do not see him."

He nods his head and walks away leaving the two of us in one of the empty hallways.

"Drink." I order and place the bottle to his lips. He holds the bottle with two hands and drinks it like a toddler with his eyes closed.

When he finishes all of it he looks at me weirdly. "I'm." He points to himself whilst hiccuping. "Not doing too good."

"Yeah I know." I mutter, wrapping one of his arms over my shoulder. "You're drunk."

He shakes his head no and stands up a little. "Not doing too good about Adelaide."

I listen to him mutter her name over and over again to himself whilst making our way over to his bedroom. I kick the door open and manage to stumble over to his bed with him. I lay him down and take his shoes off lifting the blanket over him.

"Hi." Alessia whispers from the doorway. "I saw that you might need some help."

I give her a small smile and she walks over to Carlo, I step back a little and let her do her thing.

"On your side." She taps the bed and Carlo lazily smiles at her, doing as she says. "Bin so you don't throw up on your bed." She pulls a bin over and leaves it next to him on the floor.

"I'm probably not going to get her back." Carlo whispers a tear rolling down his face even with his eyes closed.

I've never seen him so vulnerable.

"Who? Adelaide." Alessia asks, stroking his hair out of his face.

His eyes open as best as they can and they're blood shot filled to the brim with tears. "My Adelaide." He points to his chest.

"Yes. your Adelaide ." Alessia agrees. "She's strong isn't she?"

He smiles, "Yes. And pretty."

"She's very pretty." Alessia struggles to take off his suit jacket but succeeds.

"What if I don't find her? What if she's dead?" Carlo asks, his bottom lip trembling. "I didn't even get a chance to say sorry."

"She's not dead Carlo. And you will find her." As Alessia talks he places his hand in hers and she squeezes it back. "The thing with Adelaide is that that girl has gone through so much already that she has almost learnt how to cope. It sounds sad and it is, I can agree with that. But it's also good, she knows how to deal with herself in that situation. So I bet you she is just fighting like the strong woman she is."

"All the coping is killing her." He mumbles closing his eyes. "She can't always be strong."

"Why do you need to apologise?" Alessia asks changing the subject.

"For- For blaming her for not coming back." He mumbles, his voice cracking slightly.

"Carlo you need to stop this drinking and getting high business. It's not good for you and it's affecting you. You're doing it too frequently and you're getting addicted to it. Take it slow." Alessia lets go of his hand letting him roll over and grab something from under the covers.

He rolls back to his side and pulls out a small grey hoodie and puts it to his face just under his nose.

Adelaide's.

"We're going to get her back." I reassure as he opens his eyes for a split second, smiling a little at us.

"Thank you guys." He slurs. "You guys are great." He gives us both a thumbs up before settling down and pulling the hoodie closer to him and passing out.

Alessia moves his curly hair once more before kissing his forehead, I walk over and I ruffle his hair. Alessia tsks and sorts his hair out again. "Honestly Giovanni." She mumbles. "Leave his hair alone."

"Sorry." I surrender.

We walk out of his room, closing the door.

"I love you." I kiss her forehead.

"I love you too." She laughs and I walk back to the office to try and find Adelaide.