2

"Jason and I ought to head to bed now seeing as it's gotten pretty dark. It was lovely to meet you Y/N!" Pam said to me as I was getting ready for bed. I nodded to them as saying you too. Halfway asleep, I heard someone whisper my name. "y/n!" I turned to find the culprit only to meet a pair of dazzling blue eyes. 'His eyes remind me of the gorgeous lake here' I thought, becoming mesmerized by him. Jason grabbed my attention once more from a question that made me tense. "How come you wear that mask over your mouth? Are you sick?" I was confused by his tone. Was he....worried about me? No he cant be. Everyone thinks I'm a freak, even mommy. I look at him and shook my head no. Turning my back to him I waved as to say goodnight and drifted off to sleep.

_t i m e s k i p_

                   I woke up to someone shaking me. "Y/N get up! I wanna show you something." It was Jason. I turned around to meet his gaze. 'Those eyes really are a sight to see' I caught myself staring, looking up at Jason to see he was blushing. 'Cute' I thought. I reached my hand out to touch his cheek. He closed his eyes but none the less let me touch him. I slowly stroked his cheek with my thumb. "uh Y-Y/N? W-what are you d-doing?" He asked. I grabbed my notebook and quickly wrote down 'soft. Wanted to feel' "oh! Well thank you, I think..." he said unsure. I smiled slightly and nodded. We both got up and climbed down the ladder to reach the floor. 'So what did you want to show me?' I asked. "There's a huge opening in the forest full of wildflowers! Come on!" Jason proceeded to gently grab my wrist and drag me out of the cabin and towards the sea of trees.

               On the way to our destination, Jason and I talked. Even though it was more of a one-sided conversation, I still got to know a lot about him. Jason was 13, so he was 2 years older than me. He homeschooled with his mom and he loves nature. He also told me that I was his only friend which is fine with me, I didn't wanna have to share his attention with someone else anyways. "So you never really answered my question last night about the mask." Again I tensed. I didn't want to show him only because I wouldn't want him to be afraid of me. Hesitating, I wrote down my answer and handed it to him. 'My mouth is abnormally large. Mommy says it's scary so I have to hide it' I began to tear up. 'I don't want him to be afraid of me! He's the only one that's ever shown kindness to me.'  Jason interrupted my thoughts "C-can I see? I can understand what it's like to be called names because of how I look. I-I promise I w-won't get scared!" He held out his pinky to show that he meant what he said. I hooked my smallest finger with his, savoring the feel of his hand in mine. It was so warm and comforting.

               Jason looked up at me expectantly as I slowly reached to take off my mask. Once it was off, I still kept my head down feeling nervous for his reaction. He put both of his hands on my cheeks and lifted my head to face him. I gave a crooked smile showing off some of my sharp teeth. "You look like a shark!" He giggled while looking at me. I quickly met his gaze and blushed. "Y-yoU doNt t-tHink I'm scAry?" I asked, my voice scratchy from not using it in such a long time. He looked shocked from me speaking to him. "Of course I don't think you're scary! I actually think you look really pretty" he said, a light crimson rising to his cheeks. "You don't need to wear your mask around me, we're friends right? I'd never judge you." I felt fuzzy when he said those words to me. 'Friends' I smiled a toothy smile at him and he laughed. "Come on, we still have to find those flowers." I nodded and giggled as we began walking again.

_t i m e s k i p_

                    "And here we are!" Jason said opening his arms in a childish fashion making me laugh. "TheY're s-so preTty" I went to go look at them. There were all sorts of flowers but what caught my eye were a bunch of daisies. "Do you w-wAnna make a f-flOwer crown with me?" I asked him. "Sure!" Jason replied, running to the bunch of crocus flowers to my left. We watched the sun begin to set as we finished up our crowns. Jason came up behind me and put the crown of purple flowers on my head. "You look like a princess/prince." He said looking to the side. I felt my face flush as he said this. 'He's so kind to me. Maybe I could just-' I thought while leaning closer to him. 'Just one. He won't be mad right?' Without a second thought I kissed his cheek.