Chapter 31

Advith closed his suitcase and texted his assistant about his whereabouts. It was at that time that his house-bell rang. He wondered who would come at this time to his home. He walked towards the door and looked through the peephole. It was his mother. He immediately opened the door and nearly scolded his mother.

"Amma! Why did you come this late at night? You should have called me!" He said, thinking for the safety of his mother. "Where is Achhan?" He asked.

"He is at home. I came alone. We...I wanted to talk to you." His mother said as she walked inside.

"It is not safe to be out so late, Amma! Call me next time and I will come to you." He said as he guided her to a chair.

Serving her water, he continued the conversation.

"What did you want to discuss?" He asked gently as he placed his suitcase near the door.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Yes, Amma. I need to close a deal with my new business partner."

"Where are you going this time?" Her mother asked, with a sigh as she knew that her son was always on the move.

"Sikkim. I will stay there for 2 weeks."

"Okay! I have heard that it is a beautiful place." His mother said.

Advith chuckled and finally sat near his mother.

"You want to accompany me?" He asked.

"Maybe next time."

"Tell me whatever is bothering you, Amma." He said with a sigh. Although he knew that it must be something related to his father. Otherwise, his mother wouldn't arrive this late at his home.

"You know that your father is concerned about your marriage." His mother started slowly.

Advith was about to interrupt with an argumentative statement when his mother stopped him.

"First listen to me."

"Fine." He answered.

"Since you are not saying 'yes' to any girl recommended by your Acchan, he has finally told me just now that he would accept any girl you would want to marry." His mother smiled.

Advith stared at his mother for a while.

"You came to tell me this?" He asked.

"Aren't you happy about it? You can marry that girl you have been thinking about, now when your father has agreed. This is why I came so quickly to tell you the good news."

"Amma!" He sighed. He didn't know how he should say this to her.

"Wh...what happened? You don't want to marry that girl? Vidhushi right?" His mother asked, confused.

"I want to marry her desperately."

"Then? What is the problem? Is it her parents? We can go and talk to them, you know! I would convince her mother. Unless... she doesn't want to marry you!" His mother said, after all, women's consent in marriage was highly respected in Advith's family.

"She loves me too. It's just that... "

"What?"

"She is married."

"What?" Advith's mother almost shouted as she stood in shock. "You were having an immoral affair with a married girl?" Her mother couldn't believe it. His son was better than that!

"No, Amma! I mean, she got married a few days back."

"But, I don't understand. If she loves you and you love her, then why did she marry someone else? Was she forced by her parents?"