Chapter 15

It was the annual function of her college. The great fest that happened only once a year. It was going to be her first fest because she was in her first year of college. She hadn't made any friends. The only friend she had was her bench-mate who rarely came to college. Because she was young with a whole new experience waiting for her, she was excited to use this fest as an opportunity to build up new friendships.

So, she registered herself in the decoration department where she knew many students like her would be present. But, on the very first day, Kunal had to ruin her day and any possibility of colourful college life.

Kunal was a final year student when she had just entered college. And he had made sure that she entered the same college where he studied. He gained her parent's trust as well and dropped her to college and home every day. If her classes ended late, he would wait patiently and if his classes ended late, he skipped those classes, just to spend time with her.

She was too young...just into adulthood and hence, accepted whatever Kunal offered in their relationship. She did whatever he wanted. He even had control over her schedule.

In the decoration department, volunteers were divided into groups of five members each. Her group was headed by a second-year student. As he explained their task, she occasionally checked him out. She specifically liked the way he handled himself...the way he spoke and all...especially his rolled-up sleeve. It made him seem more attractive.

She was in the middle of the session when Kunal interrupted them. The whole college knew Kunal. And being senior-most, he had strong authority over college issues.

She still remembered his words clearly.

'Whose permission did you take before coming here? Did I tell you to do this?'

He had said loudly. Everybody heard. Powerless, she stood there dumbstruck; not knowing what to say. It was the worst day of her first year in college. And from then on, everybody knew that she was not to be messed up with because she was Kunal's girl.

This was the extent to which he had control over her life.

Now, as she sat on the balcony of her house, remembering that fateful day, she wondered if Advith is correct. Is Kunal still controlling her life? She had accepted his control when she was naive and young. But, when her father died, she got to understand things better and she made herself strong....unbreakable.

But was she really independent! She asked herself. Kunal still controlled her friend circle.

Should she let him decide whom she should be friends with?

She asked herself if she wanted to be friends with Advith. And she couldn't bring herself to say 'no'. She liked Advith as a friend. He was cheerful and made her laugh on occasions. She liked his company...whatever little time she had spent with him. And in this new place, she wanted to have a friend with whom she could forget about her solitary social life.

Above all, she wanted to befriend Advith because she wanted to show herself that Kunal did not control her life's decisions. That she was independent.

But there was always the threat of Kunal getting to know about her and Advith's association and he might hurt Advith. So, she came up with another plan.

She unlocked her phone and saw the time. It was 11 pm. She was sure he wouldn't be asleep by now.

So she dialled his number.

"Vidhu!" Came his voice from the other side.

"Hi, Kunal." She greeted.

"Hey! Why aren't you asleep by now? What happened? Is everything alright?" He asked, concerned.