Chapter 21

"How did you know that I was coming!" Kunal said as he enveloped her in a hug, feeling comfort in her scent and liveliness.

Vidhushi felt herself being swayed as he always did whenever he hugged her.

"You said you wouldn't come today." She said but it came as an accusation.

He straightened himself and looked at his future wife carefully, relishing her features.

"Did I ever miss any Diwali with you? Come on! Vidhushi! It was a surprise." He explained his unannounced visit.

She thanked all the gods up in heaven for saving her and her loved ones life today. She realised how the trouble was avoided by a small margin. Advith's and Kunal's arrival didn't match. And Advith left before Kunal came. She couldn't be more relieved by this.

She finally relaxed, knowing that Kunal would never know that Advith was here.

And Advith wouldn't know that Kunal was here, as well.

How messed up all this was!

"Happy Diwali, Kunal. Come." She said gently as she walked towards her home. She tried to hide away her discomfort and anxiety so that he wouldn't get suspicious about anything. She had to behave like her usual self.

Kunal followed her closely.

"What were you doing outside anyway?" He asked curiously.

As soon as he entered her street, he had instantly spotted her standing at the edge of the road looking basically nowhere...deep in thought. And he knew that she wasn't someone who would be so oblivious and go into deep thinking at such an odd place.

Even when he came out of the cab and paid the driver, he walked closer to her expecting that she would notice him. For a fraction of period, he thought that she must have expected his arrival...but then he thought otherwise.

He poked her nose to get her attention and when she did, he immediately hugged her because that was something he always had the right to...according to him and he loved to do it. It felt safe...safe that she was his...and always in his arms.

"There were fireworks and you know how I love them." She lied as she opened the door of her house.

She quickly realised that her mother didn't know that Kunal has come and to avoid any further miscommunication between the two of them, she decided to announce his arrival before she saw him or ask whether Advith left safely.

"Mumma, Kunal has come home." She announced and was relieved that her mother was in the kitchen.

Her mother instantly came out, surprised that he actually came even when he said that he wouldn't. Both mother and daughter had the same thing going on in their mind. Both thanked God to mismatch the two men's arrival and departure.

However, her mother wasn't very good at hiding her inner emotions and Kunal looked at his future mother-in-law strangely. She still had that shocked expression on her face. He wondered why she was so surprised to see him. He knew that his would-be wife's mother was not really a big fan of him...but still...she never behaved like she did today.

"Kunal! What a surprise, beta." Her mother said as she walked near him.

He walked closer to the old woman and bent down to touch her feet, as was the tradition.

"Happy Diwali, mummy Ji." He said. Both mother and daughter shared looks when he said the m-word. Both wondering how to tell him.

"You too, beta." Her mother said.