Chapter 19: Waves Of Memories

Did I hear him right? He would catch a bullet again for me? Am I hearing things now?

I wanted to ask, to be honest. I wanted him to at least clarify but I'm afraid. I'm afraid if that's really the truth or just another plot to cure whatever trauma I have in my system.

But why would he do that? What will he get if that's exactly what he wants me to think?

I don't know what to feel anymore. All these mixed up emotions are lingering inside my chest. The pain of betrayal, the uneasiness from the trauma I thought I learned to live with, the lies that I had to accept as years went by and... the truth.

I shook my head as I looked at our intertwined fingers as we went out of the mall. I feel so empty inside even though I have these bottled up feelings inside me.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I want to ask again— I want to question everything but the lies that have been told are some of the things I can't really ignore. Given that they came from the people I least expect it from.

"W-Where are you taking me?" I asked as tears continued streaming down my face but I couldn't care less anymore.

Zeki or should I call him Ezekiel now, stopped on his tracks as he faced me. I can barely see his face because of the tears that's been pouring like waterfalls from my eyes.

I felt him wiped my tears before gently smiling at me.

"I'll take you away from here. Enough." he said almost a whisper as he pulled me towards the basement parking where we met earlier.

He clicked his car keys and the lights of the black Bentley in front of us blinked.

"Please get in." he sounded so concerned but his voice was laced with an unknown emotion. It sounded like... pain?

I didn't even say a word as I went inside his car— not caring about my car anymore.

He went to the driver's seat and immediately started the ignition. It roared into life and just as I thought we'll be zooming out of that place, his hand caressed my cheeks wet with tears.

"I'm sorry." he gently said and still, I don't know what's that for. I don't have any idea which part of this drama is he sorry for.

I want to know more. I want to ask more and regain more information but I'm afraid I'll be lied to again. I'm afraid the fragments of memories that I currently have will be tampered again by someone that I'm... starting to trust.

"Why are you doing this?" that's the only question I can come up for now.

All these lingering questions in my head but that's the only thing I can utter for now. I can't afford to be told another lie just to fix whatever is broken inside me.

"Because I care for you... genuinely." he flashed his infectious smile before putting the gear shifter to drive mode as we zoomed out of that place.

I don't have any idea where he'll take me but I couldn't care anymore. For the very first time, I don't even want to know. I want to stop talking and going around asking questions. For the very first time, I appreciated the silence. I appreciated his comfort even in defeaning silence with just the revving of the engine as the only sound between us.

It was a comforting silence, I must say. The kind of silence that can put my raging heart and chaotic mind in solace.

I don't know how long we drove but as I was brought back to my senses, I saw the sea in front of my eyes again. The crashing of waves against the rock formations, the familiar squawking of birds, the rustling of the leaves— it somehow calmed my nerves even more.