Chapter 20: Destroyed

We talked about almost everything that had happened for the past years. I patiently listened to every stories he has in store for me and every little detail drawned me even more to him.

There's this unspeakable attraction that I'm having whenever he's near. I feel like I'm in a safe space. I feel like no one and absolutely no one can touch me when he's around. The level of bravery that I'm  having is just something that I never thought I would ever have — at least not in this lifetime.

I have lived in fear and agony for the past years. I knew that even my parents are lying to me still... still I managed to maintain my healthy relationship with them. Even with all the lies and mixed up truths they told me, I couldn't really hate them for doing that.

I understood their purpose for doing such things but what I cannot accept is the fact that they did that without my consent. I know it is their obligation as parents but don't I have a say on anything that literally involves my own sanity?

"What are you thinking?" a deep baritone voice in front of me asked and that pulled me out of my reverie.

I looked at him and saw his two brown orbs, directly staring at me.

"I-I was just... nothing."

"Eero..." he drawled as he put down the spatula he's holding. Now his attention is all on me. "Please do not bottle up your feelings. You've been doing that for years."

I shrugged before bitterly smiling.

"Can't help it. I don't have anyone to trust and I basically can't trust my own family. Who will listen to my bullshits in life? Who will believe and sympathize with me — not that I need it. For years I have been searching for a missing link, which is you, and I thought finding it would mean more answers to my questions. Who would understand that? " I scoffed in defeat before shaking my head. "I guess no one will ever understand the struggle of fighting for your once lost identity."

"That's why I'm here." he answered as he leaned on the counter top. "That's why I took you out of that shit hole for a while."

My heart melted. I don't know if he's just flirting with me or he truly cares for me and the relationship— wait, that didn't sound right. I mean, the friendship that we had and currently having... again.

"Can I ask?" I started and he eagerly nodded. "What do you think of me?"

His forehead creased at my question.

"I mean, from your memories with me when I was a child and now." I clarified and he pouted, suppressing a smile before speaking.

"I found you very... tactless but caring in a way." he answered and my insides turned in a very unexplainable manner. "You were not soft spoken as a child. You were very... straightforward, I must say."

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked like I'm seeking for his approval.

What is happening to you, Eero!

"It's not." he firmly replied. "I like it."

That caught my attention and I unconsciously raised my eyebrow at him.

"What?" he chuckles before getting the spatula again to attend to what he's cooking.

"You like it?" I said in a very teasing tone and being the shameless person that he is, he nodded!

"You like me huh?" I reiterated and he chuckles before shaking his head.

"Don't you try to flirt with me, Eero. You won't like it when I flirt back." he said in a warning tone but I'm not having any of it.

"Really now?" I said, challenging him.