שְׁתַּיִם

Spring 1770 • The Ozarks

Obadiah was an abolitionist first and foremost. However he still retained slaves to perpetuate a falsehood. His reason was to keep all families together and to secretly hold free men. Law was o the side of corruption. Hence the need for deception. All his slaves were provided education and given wages according to their labour. He arrived where some would call the Ozarks to establish his homestead in Indian Territory. Though a citizen of the Orleans Territory Obadiah wanted a new life for himself and his family.

His family was Prussian and French with their wealth made off the backs of them who could barely afford to tend unto their own needs. Thus all his worldly goods were packed for a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean with his sister and her kind accompanying him. All their wealth was enough to fund several dozen large armies without scratching even one percent of overall wealth.

Upon arrival the siblings established themselves as being respectable people. Thus the colonist and governing powers left them in peace. Then when appropriate this small family set course for their new future. Though enlightened men suggested the natives were savage hostiles. Obadiah saw evidence abounding all men were savage hostiles depending on what culture they belonged. Hence why large numbers of colonists believed him to be provincial. What also damned him was he fought in what would be called the French and Indian War. Yet of necessity he kept his Indian allegiance a secret. Now at twenty-eight years of age Obadiah was planning on going to the extreme of absurdity.

His early years were spent with family in the Inner Hebrides and Outer Hebrides afore his kinfolk removed him. Obadiah went to spend fifteen years in the Scottish Highlands with an uncle who was a powerful and wise laird commanding great respect. It was spring 1761 Obadiah landed in the New World to cast his lot with any tribe who would accept him. Upon returning from war he could neither express nor explain why he chose to fight alongside the Indians. His Highland aunt and uncle spoke saying they each fully understood. For the laird was a lad whilst participating in the 1715 Jacobite rebellion.

Prior to departing the Orleans Territory Obadiah and his sister amassed a large quantity of slaves. Each sibling independently acquired these slaves to lead unto a new future. Though some were less than soothed and not amused when being told these slaves would help build a glorious plantation nigh unto the Red River. Large financial gain is what kept many a tongue in their cage. Especially when said slavers were receiving twice asking price. Adding unto this neither sibling differentiated betwixt one slave and another. Despite purchasing slaves required the same skills as acquiring horseflesh. Sapienti fortuna. Being both siblings were masters of horseflesh they knew the difference betwixt good stock and bad stock.

Soon as the slaves were healthy for travel the two siblings began their northward journey with each wagon lead by a team of oxen. One slave was given the rôle of quarter master. It was he who would become head of staff. Not knowing what their future beheld the slaves readily complied with all instructions given. Benefiting them was they were ever visited by kindness instead of cruelty. Each slave was able to slake their thirst by drawing deep from the Well of Compassion. Though they learnt they were not cattle each knew upon them lay the shared burden of perpetuating a falsehood in public.

Obadiah was thirty-five when construction was finished on his home. Strangers would refer unto his residence as the last homely home. One Prussian trapper spoke in jest when calling it Elfenkönigreich. Only his sister knew the lass who bore his seed was more than a trollop. Rather he wed the girl with full blessing of her father. These two were separated by the distance of three years. Natural generosity ensured the siblings protected the Negroes who were family since being purchased from an auction block. Even the seed of those Negroes were named family.