I - Healing

They had been walking for several hours when Russia plants himself down in a clearing. His paws ache and his stomach churns. America slides off with South Carolina. Texas tumbles down and groans.

Russia closes his mouth and can't ignore the new sensation of fangs sitting on his face from under his upper lip. He isn't sure when they had appeared, but he isn't complaining. It makes hunting easier.

'I need to eat something, but I'm so tired.'

"Why did we stop?" Brazil asks.

"Ruby needs a break," America explains, sitting next to Russia's face.

"Fair enough," Finland says with a sigh, sitting down next to Russia's side, rubbing where her arm had been.

Russia sighs and closes his eyes. His ears flick around as sounds surround them.

'Sound being here is better than nothing.'

But as much as Russia tries to relax enough to fall into a cat nap, he finds that there is too much to pay attention to around him.

'I can't risk any of them getting hurt.'

America softly pets the side of Russia's face and he purrs.

"Roos?" his brother asks.

Russia opens an eye to spot Ukraine looking up at him before looking away.

Russia sits up, opening his eyes and watching with concern as Ukraine looks down, worry on his face.

"Are we going to make it back home?"

Russia doesn't answer.

'I don't want to worry you, but I also hate false promises.'

"You know, as much as I hate how controlling Papa was, right now, I wish he would run in and get us out of here. I want to go home."

'I do too.'

"Done!" Mississippi exclaims, raising his hand in the air, "Dad, catch!"

Something flies past Russia's face and brushes against his whiskers. He flinches but doesn't spring up for fear of stepping on someone.

"Oh! Sorry 'bout that cat-dad, didn't mean to startle you."

Russia covers his face with his paws. America laughs and scratches under Russia's chin. Russia tucks his paws back under him and closes his eyes. He rubs his face against America and America laughs.

"You're as affectionate as ever. I love you," America coos.

Russia purrs louder and accidentally knocks America onto his back. Russia yanks away, his heart skipping a beat. America laughs and pulls himself back up. Russia relaxes a little, but his muscles still feel tense.

America begins fiddling with something that Russia can't make out. He nudges America's arm. America chuckles.

"What?"

Russia tries to use his nose to point at the thing in America's hand.

"Oh! This? It's the prosthetic that Sippy and Bama made. It should get me walking again."