XXIII - Well Deserved

Russia watches with wide eyes and a blue and gray blur vaults over the skewed dining room table. New York rolls to a stop at Georgia's feet, his chest heaving. He springs up and scours the room before focusing on Alabama, whose shoulders hunch and start to shake.

Georgia steps aside, taking up a loom from the edge of the room and watching with a hardened look. Russia notes that the other states seem to slow their progress and the sounds of manufacturing fall.

'She is hiding so much pain. They all are.'

Russia looks up at New York. His chest tightens at the fiery tears he sees reflecting the room back to him.

New York stares past Louisiana directly at Texas, who shrinks under his gaze. He bares his teeth and wipes his face. New Jersey slowly slides over the table behind New York, his gaze far away and his face shiny. Russia flinches at the spacey look.

"Texas!" New York roars.

Russia's head snaps up to watch, and he restrains himself from getting up.

'It will only hurt,' he reminds himself.

In his periphery, he sees Texas's full-body flinch before slowly raising his head.

"Yes?"

"What the fuck? What the fuck were you thinking?" New York screeches, his hands swiping through the air, "Waiting for Dixie- Waiting for me to be asleep? You snuck right past us? Right past Dixie?"

Texas shakes and his grip seems to tighten. Louisiana pushes his arms back with a scowl. She opens her mouth only to be cut off.

"We were trying to protect you from your own stupid fucking decisions! Because we knew you wouldn't listen to us! We knew! So we stayed up, watching the place, making sure nothing got in and no one could leave! But instead-"

New York chokes on his words. New Jersey listlessly walks up beside him, placing a hand on New York's shoulder. New York takes a breath before continuing.

"Instead, you just decide to up and leave and leave us in the dust. You leave anyway. We told you not to."

Other children leak into the room, each with crafts in their hands. Russia can't help but notice the tear stains most of them sport on their faces.

"Pire," Louisiana says softly, her tone a firm ringing in the silence, "Texas ain't the only one who left."

New York nods before his head snaps toward the standing group of states. His mask begins to fall, and Russia sees the guilt and pain underneath the glare. Russia's heart clenches.

"You," New York spits.

"We thought you knew!" Alabama exclaims.

New York's eyes widen, and his jaw drops. He spins and searches the room for a moment before halting abruptly. Kansas nods to him from a doorway across the room, a bewildered look on his face.

New York turns back, his face tight and his eyes scrunch nearly shut.

"Why did you think we knew?" he asks, his tone eerily calm.

"We thought Tex told Dixie," Mississippi chimes in, his tone wavering.

New York's head whips around again and Kansas gives a thumbs up, his brow scrunched and his eyes narrow.

"God, you guys are so fucking stupid," New York says, turning back and rubbing his face, "why would you think he would agree to this?"

The five standing states turn their heads away.

"I didn't think you agreed," New Mexico volunteers.

"Then why did you go?" New York snaps, throwing his hands to his sides.