XV - Phone Signal

Brazil tosses wood into a pile and Mexico arranges stones around it. Florida lights some kindling, and the flames lick the sky. Russia kicks his legs up in front of the fire.

Russia tries to shake off the excess water in vain. America sits next to him and leans into his chest. Russia sighs and picks him up, holding America in his lap. America laughs and curls into him.

Russia hugs him closely and some of the states begin to surround them. The Dakotas press against Russia and Florida fidgets with his tail.

"Dads?" New Mexico asks.

America hums and Russia tried to ignore the excitement building in his chest. Even still, he can't get rid of the soft smile he feels growing on his face.

'Dads? That's Stars and me.'

'I am a Dad,' he repeats to himself in wonder.

It makes him feel warm.

"Where are we?" New Mexico asks.

"We're on a pretty popular springtime trail," America replies with a wave, "we'll be hitting the road here pretty soon, don't worry."

"You said Tenny is comin' to get us?" Mississippi mentions.

"Tenny, Wess, Tuck, Ginny, and Dixie," America lists, "we'll be seein' 'em soon."

"We just have to dry off before trying to put anything back on," Ohio says loudly, shaking out a sock, sending dead grass into the air.

"Bleh, now there's grass everywhere," Kansas complains.

"No shit, Sherlock."

"But it got in my mouth!"

"Guys," South Dakota interjects, causing a moment of silence.

"We should start moving again soon," Finland comments, sliding what looks like a shank over the end of the missing arm, squishing the remains of the jacket sleeve.

"Whachu got there?" South Carolina inquires.

"Alabama and Mississippi gave me something to use until I can get a replacement," Finland replies, gesturing to her arm with her remaining hand.

"Nice."

Russia stretches out and flexes his feet, getting ready to stand. He watches with curiosity as large claws extend from the paws.

"Woah!" Florida shouts, scrambling down and grabbing Russia's foot, "do that again."

Russia complies, and Florida stares with wonder, nearly shoving his face into the nails. Russia tries not to squirm while small, thin fingers prod at the bottoms of his feet.

He looks up again when Florida mumbles something that sends most of the states into laughter.

"Did you just say he's got toe beans?" Texas pipes up from the other side of the camp with a chuckle.

"He does!" Florida defends.

Russia's face grows warm. He turns to America with a questioning look. America smiles.

"You do," America confirms, "and I think it's kinda cute."

Russia looks away, analyzing a nearby tree's bark. His face burns.

"Can we leave?" Ukraine asks nervously.

America seems to contemplate this for a moment before slowly getting to his feet, knocking the kids who had been in his lap to the ground.

"Everyone get your shoes on," America instructs.

The teens whine and cuddle into Russia's side. Russia internally coos. America gives him a serious look, and Russia nods.