VIII - Laughter to Tears

Russia begins to look around. Everything around him swirls. Cackling surrounds him, and he begins to thrash.

Hands hold him down. People shout from around him. His vision blurs together, and he screams. He pulls violently away from the hands, his heart pounding in his chest.

"Ruby?"

Russia pauses, panting.

'Meri? He sounds so tired.'

Russia begins trying to look around, but his mind doesn't make any sense.

"Cat dad, you gotta calm down."

'Florida?'

Russia tries to breathe deeply, and his chest shudders. A hand gently brushes back his hair. Russia whimpers and scratches at the tingling on his face.

"Hey," a voice snaps, "stop doing that! You're hurting yourself."

'Ohio,' his mind identifies.

New hands pull his own away from his face. He finds himself being pulled into something warm. He takes a deep breath, and a familiar scent fills his nose.

'Meri.'

Russia relaxes. He takes a few moments, and his breathing slows enough for the fuzz in his mind to dull a little. He's laying on his side in America's lap. America is petting his hair.

Russia feels the uncomfortable pull of clothes restricting his limbs, but he's too fatigued to move to fix it.

'Where am I?'

Russia opens his eyes again and sees Texas sitting in front of him, looking concerned and sick. Russia meets Texas' eyes and Texas relaxes with a small smile.

"Hi Russ," Texas says gently, his voice hoarse and tone forced, "are you there?"

Russia nods and Texas laughs quietly. His laugh quickly turns to a sickly cough. He curls around himself, his hands in the dirt. Russia's heart aches at the way the coughing shakes Texas' torso. Russia feels the person under him shift a little and Texas is pulled out of view. Russia turns onto his back and sees America hugging Texas to his side.

Texas whines a little and tucks his face into America's shoulder. America kisses his forehead.

"I know, baby, I know. I know you don't feel good," America says into Texas' hair, "I know. It's okay. We're gonna be okay. I know."

Texas shakes and wraps his arms around America, trying to hug him with shivering hands. New Mexico sits behind him and rubs his back. Alabama and Mississippi sit nearby, looking between each other with scared expressions.

Russia turns his head at someone pulling on his tail. It brushes against his pant leg uncomfortably.

'I still have that?'

Russia sees Florida, who has tear streaks staining his face, holding his tail to his face. Russia rubs Florida's face lightly with his tail and Florida giggles too quietly for him to hear and hugs it tighter. Russia looks around a little more and sees Kansas talking to Ohio, who paces around the underbrush, violently shoving aside any branches in his way.

South Carolina sits near America's knees, rubbing his arms and biting his lip. North Carolina sits a meter or two behind him, staring up at the night sky, seemly lost in thought. Finland sits against a tree within earshot, looking frustrated and tired.

Ukraine is clumsily trying to comfort Alberta, who is ripping grass out of the dirt and crumpling it into her hands with a scowl. Brazil and Mexico are nowhere to be seen, but Russia assumes they aren't far.