XXVII - Civil Dispute

The car ride blurs by, and America leans heavily into Russia's shoulder, his eyes half-open.

"Russia?"

"Hello Meri," Russia replies with a love-sick smile.

"Dixie?" America asks after a second of silence, his voice breathy.

"He's up here," Texas says between his teeth.

"Texas?"

"What?"

"What's going on? Is something wrong?"

"Dixie had broken fucking ribs and was walking around on a broken ankle! You think I wouldn't be bothered?"

"Texas!" New York shouts, "He doesn't know that!"

"He does now. And he didn't even tell us about his broken arm or anything."

"What's with the IV?" America asks, his voice strangely calm.

"Bloodloss," Georgia replies blandly.

"He was so hurt and he didn't tell anyone," Delaware announces, his voice wavering.

Dixie groans.

"The doctor also gave me a whole bunch of pain meds for Dixie, alone," New York says, rattling a few pill bottles in his hand.

The car falls into an unsettling stillness as Delaware stiffly drives the car back to the house, taking a few extra turns. Once they park, Dixie sits up.

"Dixie, don't you dare," Texas snaps.

"What? Get out and walk?"

"Yes!" New York replies.

"Why not?"

"I got one of Neb's spare chairs," someone volunteers meekly from outside the car.

The states force Dixie into the chair, which was reminiscent of a hospital chair. Russia limps inside behind them, leaning against Kentucky.

Once they are inside, Russia watches everyone in the room freeze at Dixie's entrance.

"Howdy," Dixie says, waving his bandaged arm.

"Dixie?" Arizona asks, her voice shaking, "what happened to you?"

"Were you guys attacked on the way there?" California asks from her place hovering outside the door.

"No," New Jersey says bluntly, "he was already this hurt."

"And we're about to figure out why," New York adds, placing his hands on his hips.

"It's not that bad," Dixie says pleasantly.

The other countries exit with side-glances and the states fill the room, barely leaving Russia enough room to breathe.

"Dixie," America says, "what the fuck are you talking about?"

"I'm fine," Dixie says, his tone steady.

Russia's heart skips a beat.

'If I close my eyes, I could believe him.'

The states exchange glances before Texas stomps his foot. Tears trace his face and he grinds his teeth.

"How long have you been lying?" Texas asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Stop avoiding the question," New York interjects.

"How long have you been hiding injuries?" America asks, going to stand before tumbling back with a yelp.

"I don't think you wanna know that," Dixie replies with a pained smile.