XXXI - Stubborn Silence

Ukraine grabs America first, and America throws his arm over Ukraine's shoulder. They disappear out into the hallway and Russia hears their footsteps thudding on the stairs.

Then a stumble.

"America!"

"I'm so-rry," America replies.

"You almost knocked me over!"

"Well, I didn't!"

Russia readies himself to get up as he hears Ukraine run back up the stairs.

"Your turn!"

Russia leans heavily on his brother, grumbling.

"Oh," Dixie starts, "Howdy. Didn't know y'all would be back so soon."

Ukraine drops Russia onto the couch and Russia hisses, his legs burning. Ukraine backs up a step and offers a not-very-sorry smile. Russia flips him off. Ukraine laughs.

"Yeah," America says, "I know."

Virginia and Massachusetts set themselves up on one of the looms in the corner of the room, and Delaware is lining up fabric on the table with Connecticut standing nearby with a large pair of scissors. Dixie is alone on the couch; New York, New Jersey, and their lap table are gone. Dixie is surrounded by papers and he's holding one of the few clipboards around him.

"Amy?"

"Okay, Dix... I... Dixie, please."

Dixie looks up with furrowed brow. His face is still bruised, one of his eyes swollen half shut. Russia winces at the damage.

'How much could he hide? How? Make-up?'

Russia briefly imagines trying to do it himself and shakes his head.

'Must take a lot of talent,' Russia winces, 'or practice.'

"What have you been hiding?"

Dixie's head sinks.

"Dix."

Dixie's shoulders lower, and he leans over as if to hide his chest. He rubs his injured arm.

"Dixie!"

Dixie jolts in his seat, his head whipping up to look at America. He stares up with wide eyes. Russia's heart sinks.

'We shouldn't be yelling at him.'

"Beam," Russia says, rubbing America's shoulder.

America shrugs him off. Russia retracts his hand and frowns.

'I don't like that he keeps shrugging me off.'

"Dixie?" America calls again, his tone strangely even.

"Yeah?" Dixie asks, his voice cracking.

"How long have you been hiding shit?"

Dixie stares at his hands. "You don't wanna know."

"Really?" America asks sarcastically, a frown etches its way into his face, "I don't want to know? Or do you not want to tell me?"

"Amy, please."

America scoffs.

"Well? You got an answer?"

Dixie recoils, his eyes glued to the papers under his hands. He grips the clipboard in his casted hand and a pen in the other. His shoulders are tense. Russia reaches out a hand to America.

'I have to try again.'

"Meri, calm down. Please."

America shakes him off and huffs. Russia tries to hide a scowl.

"Dixie..." America says expectantly, crossing his arms.

Dixie looks at the papers in his lap.

"Well? I know you're not reading those."

Dixie shuffles the papers in front of him. He tosses a few to the side, and Russia can't help but pity him.

'He really doesn't want to talk about this.'

"Look at me," America demands, leaning in.

Dixie meekly looks up.

"I love you. We love you."

Dixie looks away, his head tilted down.

"I know that isn't sticking for you," America says, waving his hands over his head, "but please. We love you and want to be able to help you."

Dixie shrinks into the couch.

"Dixie, please say something. Anything!"

"...I'm sorry."

America sighs and Dixie flinches.

"Meri?"

America turns around, and Russia sees his tear-filled eyes. Russia's heart sinks, and he swallows the lump in his throat.

"Could you step away for a minute?"

America turns away with a scowl before forcing himself to his feet. He hobbles over to the dining room and stumbles. He yelps and reaches out to the table too far away for him to reach. Russia's heart jumps into his throat, He pushes his hands down before stopping.

'I can't get up,' he realizes with dread.

Delaware jumps to his feet and New Hampshire runs in from another room. They catch him under the arms and help him to the table. They sit him down and Delaware hands him a project that Russia can't see entirely.

America picks up a needle and begins sewing, muttering. He angrily stabs the fabric, and with every other stitch, he flinches, shaking a hand and cursing. Eventually, Delaware disappears for a moment and returns with a first aid kit.

America swipes away a few bandaids to put on before continuing. Russia looks away.

'I hope he calms down,' Russia thinks, 'but that might take a while.'