XXVI - Gone

Eventually, Delaware begins pulling away. Russia holds him tight before letting go, resting a hand on Delaware's shoulder.

"It may not feel okay now," Russia admits, "and it isn't."

Delaware scoffs. "You think?"

Russia smiles gently, looking down for a moment and removing his hand.

"Like I told your father," Russia starts quietly, muttering under the ringing in his head, "I am involved now, and I am not backing out. I will not lie to you, things are not good right now, but that does not mean that this..."

Russia fumbles for a moment, trying to find the words.

"This... this pain will not last forever."

Delaware laughs lowly while sitting in his chair. "How would you know?"

"Because I will make it okay again," Russia vows, "I promised to protect you and your siblings, and that is not a promise I plan to break. Your father will be okay."

"And Dixie?"

"... I'm not sure."

"And that's what scares me the most."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Dad is great, but..."

Russia waits while Delaware waves his hands for a moment, his eyes full of quiet sadness and his eyebrows furrowed.

"He isn't Dixie. Dix, he's... he's the rock. He's who you go to when you need someone to listen or just sit with. Think about it like this," Delaware says, meeting Russia's eyes with a serious look, "Dad's a safety net. Catches you no matter what happened, or will at least try to. Dixie is like a warm house, someone to go to when you're trying to rest. I... I dunno. Does that make sense?"

Russia nods. Delaware chuckles.

"And now I-" he chokes, "now I don't think I..."

Russia watches sadly, and he feels his chest tighten.

Delaware stares a hole into the ground, his hands tightly gripping his sleeves. Tears gather in his eyes. Then, he mumbles something Russia can't hear.

Knock.

Delaware jumps, sitting up straight and his expression steadies to neutral, quickly swiping at his eyes before Georgia walks into the room.

"Hey, y'all. How's it going in here?"

"It is alright, I have been seen," Russia replies.

"That's good. She say anything about moving?"

"He's not supposed to walk around unassisted," Delaware cuts in, not allowing Russia to respond.

"That's what I figured. Well, Imma go grab the others so we can be in one place 'cause I dunno bout you, but I don't like being so damn spread out."

Delaware nods in agreement, and Georgia disappears just as fast as she had entered. Delaware sinks into his chair, covering his face for a moment. But he sits back up as the doorknob visibly turns.

Georgia walks in first with North Carolina. Behind them, Texas carries America in, his arm under America's shoulder. America's foot is heavily bandaged and hanging limply over the floor.

"Is he okay?" Delaware asks, pointing to America.

"He'll be fine. The doc says he just needs to rest a little bit," Georgia says, "They were able to do a saline transfusion on him and he just needs to take it easy. And healing magic won't hurt either."