IX - Comforting Nights

*Cat man Russia*

The night grows dark and Russia finds himself being pushed away. He squirms a little and America clumsily apologizes.

"Meri?" Russia asks sleepily, rubbing his eyes with his fists.

America shakes his head and stumbles to his feet. America runs into the brush and hacks up glowing blue. Texas whines.

His hands and feet feel strange, but not overly cold. His knees don't look that different, but the rest of his legs under them are shorter, his feet seeming to have lengthened to make up for the change. Everything below his elbow and knee joints is fuzzy with grey fur.

His tail cramps uncomfortably from being stuck in his pant leg. He shifts and leans against the tree America had been against. He turns and sees Texas staring down, snot and tears racing down his face as he pathetically sniffles, hugging his shoulders. His hat tilts down as if he's trying to hide under it.

'It wouldn't surprise me if he is.'

Russia reaches over and gathers him up into a tight hug. Texas flinches before leaning fully against Russia's chest. Russia gathers him up into his lap and holds him as he would with Ukraine when they were younger.

'Poor baby...'

Texas' body rocks with his cries, and he seems to give up on trying to wipe off his face. Texas sobs, hugging himself and mumbling things. Russia can only assume the words are apologizes. He isn't sure what else it would be.

Florida tightly hugs Russia's tail, and Russia rubs his face gently.

Russia takes Texas' hat off gently and lays it aside. Texas takes to hiding his face in his hands.

"I'm sorry," Texas stammers louder, his voice cracking over the syllables, "I just keep fucking things up and these stupid feelings keep getting in the way of everything but I don't know how to stop it and -and I keep God damn cryin' and  -"

"Shhh... it's okay. And it's okay to cry," Russia says comfortingly, rubbing Texas' back gently.

"But I-"

"Taz," Mississippi interjects, "you can't control emotions. Ain't that what Lulu always says?"

Texas gives a jerky nod, swiping at his face with a scowl.

"Lulu ain't wrong 'bout that kinda stuff," Alabama chimes in.

"We're gonna be okay, Tex," New Mexico comforts.

"I'm sorry I dragged y'all along. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done this. I shouldn't have left," Texas stammers, spinning around to face South Carolina.

South Carolina's face falls and he sniffles. North Carolina reaches out, laying a hand on Texas' shoulder. Mexico starts to walk over, but New Mexico growls. Mexico rolls her eyes and backs off.

Texas buries his head into his palms. Russia rubs his back.

Motion catches Russia's eyes and he sees America stumbling over, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. America leans over and chokes on his breath. Russia yearns to reach up to catch him, but his arms remain around Texas.

Russia senses magic concentrating, but it's hard to pinpoint with the standing magic just buzzing in the air.

"Incoming message!" South Carolina shouts.

Russia's head pops up and he sees a swirl of brown magic growing.

Texas sniffles and snatches up his hat, positioning it to cover his face from the growing brown disk. Texas pulls off of Russia but stays tucked under his arm. Texas seems to hide in Russia's side, and Russia hugs him.