XVII - Whistling

America pulls Russia along. Russia smiles through the heat in his face. Butterflies flutter in his stomach. America points through the treetops, rambling about the stars. Russia listens to the rambling with a small smile.

Kansas, Ohio, and North Dakota had gone a little ways ahead of the group to scout. Brazil follows behind them without complaint.

Russia keeps his nose trained on the wind, tracking them the best he can. South Dakota walks with a purpose beside him, her eyes trained in the direction her siblings had gone.

"Guess that one," Texas prompts, his head tilted to the sky and his arms crossed.

"That's the Hydra, right?" North Carolina asks, waddling beside America and pointing to the sky.

Texas gives a decisive nod of approval.

"Yup!" America cheers, his face bright.

'Aww. He's so happy.'

"Are you cooing at him?" Ukraine asks from behind him, sounding bemused.

Russia feels blood rush into his cheeks. He closes his eyes and scowls, rubbing his face with his free hand.

'Damn it!'

"You were!" Ukraine exclaims with a laugh.

Russia grumbles into his hand, turning his face away.

"Hey!" South Dakota exclaims, "Dak found a mile marker!"

"Really?" America chirps, and his eye seems to glow with excitement.

Russia smiles softly.

'It probably would be if he had any magic to spare.'

Russia's joy falls.

'I hope his foot is okay. It stopped glowing a while ago... now it just smells like blood.'

Russia tries to shake off his concerns.

"Tiktac?" America calls.

"Yeah, dad?"

"Did Dixie give us a place to meet him?"

"Not that I remember," Texas says, rubbing the back of his neck, "Best I can reckon, the road is as good a place as any to start."

"Maybe we'll find some cell service to call him and ask," Mississippi suggests.

"I was gonna say that," Alabama complains with a playful pout.

"Well, I said it first."

America sighs.

"Let's just follow the road until morning, okay? Then, we can figure out the direction and give Dixie a call," America says, pain buried under his cheery tone of voice.

The kids cheer loudly.

"Are you okay?" Russia asks, glancing at America through his peripheral.

"What?" America blurts before wearing what Russia assumes is supposed to be a reassuring look, "Of course, babe, I'm fine."

Russia's face scrunches with doubt, and America doesn't meet his eyes.

"What?" America snaps, crossing his arms, "we need to keep moving. We can't stop now."

"We don't have to stop, but you look like you're in pain," Russia retorts.

"Not much I can do about it," America replies with a stiff shrug, "my magic is shot."

Russia scowls, annoyance building in his chest. He feels his gaze turn into a glare and he takes a step back with a sigh. He rolls his shoulders back and takes a deep breath.