VII - Black

When the sun starts to set, the people under them begin to leave. They spoke of some late rotation, though Russia couldn't figure out if that meant that no one else was coming or if they were stuck.

Once the voices leave, Russia relaxes his legs.

His claws ache, and his legs fall almost completely limp. His twisted ankle pulses hard enough for him to be sure anyone touching it would feel his heartbeat. He relaxes the best he can against the rough tree branches.

"We need to get out of here," America says.

Russia meows softly in agreement.

America rubs his face and cradles his stomach before his head whips up to Russia. Russia would've jumped had he not felt so exhausted.

"You know that channeling thing?"

Russia jolts a little and then nods. He tries not to look at the bruising blooming across America's features. The fat lip America sports is hard to miss, even with his efforts.

'I'm sorry.'

"Well, if you can do it now, I might be able to do something to get us out of here."

'Really?'

"We just have to try. And right now, anywhere is better than here."

"Wait, hold up," Alabama interjects, "don't you need another magic thing to do that?"

"There is enough magic in Appalachia alone to hold the other door open."

"Appalachia?!" South Carolina exclaims.

"Tenny's gon kill us..." Mississippi comments.

'We could actually just get out of here?'

"When do you want to do this?" Finland asks cautiously.

"Now hopefully. You up to it Rue?"

Russia nods and forces himself to his feet.

'We need to get out of here.'

"Do we want to get down first?" Mexico asks.

"Russ?" America asks.

Russia reluctantly shakes his head.

'I can't do it. I'm sorry.'

"This does have to be all or nothing though," Ohio says, "you heard 'em. They're tracking magic signature."

America takes a deep breath and sighs.

"This might be our only shot," America says, rubbing his face, "I don't want to risk them coming back and finding us before then."

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" North Carolina asks carefully.

"It might be our only chance."

Russia closes his eyes and opens the value. He is immediately struck with nausea as the garbled mess around him begins flowing through his mind and chest. He swallows it back.

'I don't want to give Meri something that will make him worse.'

He takes a breath, looking at the matted fog around his face.

'Can I clean this somehow?'

He feels something tighten in his chest, and he starts. He pulls the magic in, and it sticks to his throat and lungs. He flinches as it burns its way through his system.

He almost lets the tightness drop, but when he sees the lighter, untangled magic flowing from his nose, he clams down on it.

'I have to do it like this. I need to. It's for Meri.'