chapter one

"Please don't let them take me!"

"She's too dangerous to be around us, she could kill anyone in a blink of an eye."

"No! I wouldn't hurt anyone, I can control it!"

"Maybe it's for the best..."

"No, please, don't listen to him!"

"You're a monster. This is for the greater good."

"No! I'm not a monster. Stop, please-"

Mary Wheeler sits up in bed, trying to calm her rapid heartbeat and force herself to breathe normally.

She's lived in a lot of sketchy places in her life, but after finally finding some footing, she landed in Whitechapel just a few days ago.

She knows it's the safest place she could be in, at least for now.

...

She only feels physically better after a shower, but her mind is still racing with doubt. It's been over three years, and she's managed to escape before she was even caught every time. She should feel safe, right?

Her intrusive thoughts distract her, she ends up spilling the milk she's pouring for her cereal all over the counter. "Dammit."

She cleans the mess and grabs a granola bar from the pantry, giving up on a decent breakfast for the day. She stands in the mirror near her front door, grabbing her bag from the hanger and adjusting herself.

"Let's hope this works out."

...

"Dude, these nightmares are seriously freaking me out."

Ever since they stopped Jesse Black, a crazy old revenge obsessed vampire, Benny Weir has been on edge, whether he liked to admit it or not. After being attacked by demon animals and nearly getting his soul sucked out by an old witch in the span of just four months, he's been starting to have a disturbing nightmare every night.

Ethan Morgan, Benny's best friend, says, "okay, you've been complaining about these nightmares for awhile now. Are you gonna tell me what happens in them or what?"

Benny sighs, he didn't want to tell Ethan what was happening in the dreams at first. He was hoping they would just stop on their own, but that wasn't the case.

"Well, it starts with me running down a hallway lined with doors, being chased by something, but I can't tell what it is. I try to find a way out by opening the doors, but they're all locked. Eventually, I do find one that's unlocked. I open it, and there's a girl in a white nightgown standing there with her back facing me. She's...glowing-it's like a fortress of light around her or something. Anyway, I walk towards her, put my hand on her shoulder to turn her around, then that's when I wake up." Benny explains, "I always wake up right before I see her face. Dude I don't know what's going on but I know it's weird."

"That is weird," Ethan agrees, "what do you think it means?"

"I don't know! That's why I'm all freaked out!"

"Ok, ok, chill," Ethan sighs, "how about after school we talk to your grandma? Maybe she'll know."

"I guess." Benny mumbles.

Ethan shrugs as the bell rings, "I gotta get to Chemistry, if I'm late again Mr. Bush said I'd have detention for a week. Later, dude." He pats his friend on the shoulder then heads off in the other direction.