chapter forty two

"Guys, this place is definitely haunted."

Mary nods in agreement with Rory while they walk down the flickering hallway of the abandoned hotel. "We should go." He adds, moving closer to his friends.

"Rory," Benny sighs, "on the monster scale, vampire beats ghost. You're the scariest thing down here. Rory grins, "I am? Cool!" Mary chuckles and shakes her head at the two.

"Whoa, wait," Benny says, studying the supernatural energy tracker in his hand, "there's a pile of supernatural energy here. Yeah, this is the right place." He moves it slightly in Rory's direction as it starts to beep faster. "Oh, no," Rory cries, "it's been in my stomach the whole time!"

He starts to frantically swat his hands in front of his stomach. Mary sighs at him and grasps his shoulders, "Rory, there's no ghost in your stomach. You are the supernatural energy." He sighs in relief, she was so calming to him. "Oh, okay, thanks."

She chuckles just as Benny stops when the tracker starts beeping again, this time it was pointed at a wall. "Yeah, okay, this is it." Benny grins and shoves the device into Rory's hands, "hold this."

Benny and Mary move away a propped up wooden pallet, covering a small Service Elevator sign. Benny knocks on it, when nothing happens, he then proceeds to open it slowly. "Aha!" Benny cheers and reaches in to grab a small sphere wrapped in a cloth, "and that's how it's done. Behold," he pauses to unwrap it, revealing a large purple orb. "The Lusifractor! We are it's new masters."

"Ah, what does it do?" Rory questions.

"It obeys our awesome commands!" Benny replies.

"Cool!"

Mary sighs, "guys, it's not a toy. If some crazy sorcerer was zapping vampires into comas to find it, I think it's safe to say it's not something to mess with. Besides, how would it even do that?"

"I...have no idea. You're probably right, we should leave it be for now." Benny replies. "I'll have my grandma figure out what it is when we get back."

"You know, for something so important you think it'd have like an alarm or something." Rory wonders, just as Benny's device starts to go off.

"You mean like that?" Mary says, her voice rising. The three look at each other, then turn around to see a large, ghost looking thing about to charge at them.

"Run!"

They hurry down the hall as fast as they could. "You lied to me, you said I was the scariest thing here!" Rory yells as they pause to take a breath.

"Second scariest is still pretty good!" Benny replies.

"Uh, guys..." Mary nods behind them at a hooded figure, they both turn, following her gaze.

"Okay, third scariest."

A deep voice comes from the hooded figure, "thanks for finding that for me kids, now let me have it."

"Oh," Benny smirks, "you'll get it alright."

"Run again!" Mary shouts, pushing them away down the hall.

...

Eventually they find their way out, losing the scary ghost and the crazy hooded guy. Rory stood from afar, waiting for Benny and Mary to catch up.

"You're...so...fast." Mary sighs, leaning over and trying to catch her breath. "I can't believe how out of shape I am still, considering all the running away from danger we do."

"You guys look tired. Here, Benny," Rory says, taking the Lusifractor from him, "let me carry that..." he trails off once the orb hits his hand. He starts to stumble and nearly fall to the ground. Mary notices and takes the orb from him, "Rory, you okay?"