chapter five

Mary woke up this morning feeling like she only slept for five minutes. The nightmares weren't getting any better and neither was her sleep schedule. She's been in Whitechapel now for almost a month and a half. She thought the nightmares would've died down by now, but that was just false hope apparently.

Mary stands in front of her bathroom mirror, studying the dark circles under her eyes. She looks like she hasn't slept in weeks, which isn't too far off. She throws some cold water in her face, then continues her morning.

She opens her closet, chewing on her thumbnail while moving her eyes around her clothes. 'It's still pretty cold out, I think I can still wear sweaters.'

She picks out her favorite black cardigan, pairs it with a basic white shirt and jeans and heads downstairs. She doesn't feel like dealing with her hair today, so she takes a claw hair-clip and puts it in a low bun while she looks around for something to eat. The only things she has to eat are things that had to be heated up, and her microwave is still broken.

"Dammit." She huffs and picks up her bag from the table and goes to put on her shoes, when her phone rings.

"Hullo?" She answers.

"Hey, hun, how's it been down there?" Her grandfather, Louis, asks on the other line.

If it wasn't for him, Mary would still be stuck in the worst foster home she had ever been in Maine. Even the thought of the time she spent there made her shiver.

Mary didn't know she had a grandfather, and he didn't know he had a granddaughter until a month ago, before she moved to Whitechapel. She had gotten a call from him when she was still in Maine. He cried the minute he heard her voice, and he apologized over and over again about her parents, and that he never knew about her. She forgave him, after all it wasn't his fault. Him and her dad had a falling out years before she was born, and he hadn't seen or heard from him since. He had no clue that his son had a kid.

Louis and Mary were close, and he helped her out with whatever she needed. She told him how bad Maine was, but he couldn't leave his job in California to take her in, and she told him she didn't want to live there, when in reality she didn't want to put him in the danger she was already in.

So, he told her about his old house in Whitechapel, Massachusetts.

He put down a deposit to buy it back, now pays for the rent, even enrolled her in school. They both agreed that all she had to do was pay for her utilities and food.

"Oh, it's been great, Louis. Nothing like living in a town so unheard of it's in parentheses on the map," Mary jokes.

Louis laughs on the other end, "hey, come on, that's the beauty of it! So, how's school, make any friends?"

"Yeah, actually I have," Mary replies with a soft smile.

"Really? That was just a rhetorical question, I know you usually like keeping to yourself. That's so great though, Mary. I'm really happy for you."

"Thank you. Hey I wouldn't have found them without you." Mary says.

"I'm just so happy I can make your life better from now on. I know how hard it's been for you." He says.

He doesn't know what really happened to Mary before she started running from state to state, and she wanted to keep it that way. If he found out the truth about her, she could loose everything she's worked so hard for.

"I know, and I hope you know how grateful I am for you. I hope you come down to visit soon." Mary tells him.

"Of course! I would love to see old Whitechapel. I gotta get back to work though, kiddo, I'll call you soon okay?" Louis says.